Multi-level Clustering on Metric Spaces Using a Multi-GPU Platform
The field of similarity search on metric spaces has been widely studied in the last years, mainly because it has proven suitable for a number of application domains such as multimedia retrieval and computational biology, just to name a few. To achieve efficient query execution throughput, it is essential to exploit the intrinsic parallelism in respective search algorithms. Many strategies have been proposed in the literature to parallelize these algorithms either on shared or distributed memory multiprocessor systems. More recently, GPUs have been proposed to evaluate similarity queries for small indexes that fit completely in GPU’s memory. However, most of the real databases in production are much larger. In this paper, we propose multi-GPU metric space techniques that are capable to perform similarity search in datasets large enough not to fit in memory of GPUs. Specifically, we implemented a hybrid algorithm which makes use of CPU-cores and GPUs in a pipeline. We also present a hierarchical multi-level index named List of Superclusters (LSC), with suitable properties for memory transfer in a GPU.
KeywordsSimilarity Search Metric Spaces GPU Range queries
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Barrientos, R., Gómez, J., Tenllado, C., Prieto, M., Marin, M.: Range query processing in a multi-gpu environment. In: 10th IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing with Applications (ISPA 2012), pp. 419–426 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Bolettieri, P., Esuli, A., Falchi, F., Lucchese, C., Perego, R., Piccioli, T., Rabitti, F.: Cophir: a test collection for content-based image retrieval. CoRR abs/0905.4627 (2009), http://cophir.isti.cnr.it
- 4.Chavéz, E., Navarro, G.: An effective clustering algorithm to index high dimensional metric spaces. In: The 7th International Symposium on String Processing and Information Retrieval (SPIRE 2000), pp. 75–86. IEEE CS Press (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Costa, V.G., Barrientos, R.J., Marín, M., Bonacic, C.: Scheduling metric-space queries processing on multi-core processors. In: Danelutto, M., Bourgeois, J., Gross, T. (eds.) PDP, pp. 187–194. IEEE Computer Society (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Uribe-Paredes, R., Arias, E., Sánchez, J.L., Cazorla, D., Valero-Lara, P.: Improving the performance for the range search on metric spaces using a multi-GPU platform. In: Liddle, S.W., Schewe, K.-D., Tjoa, A.M., Zhou, X. (eds.) DEXA 2012, Part II. LNCS, vol. 7447, pp. 442–449. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Zezula, P., Amato, G., Dohnal, V., Batko, M.: Similarity Search: The Metric Space Approach. Advances in Database Systems, vol. 32. Springer (2006)Google Scholar