Agent-Based Case Studies for Understanding of Social-Ecological Systems: Cooperation on Irrigation in Bali
This paper describes the design phase of an ABM case study of Bali irrigation. The aim of the model is to explain the differences in the ability of rice paddy farmers to collectively adapt through cooperation. The model should allow exploring factors affecting self organisation within and between rice paddy farmer communities. The exercise of the ABM case study aims to move abstract models (theory) closer to real world phenomena, which requires contextualisation. This paper focuses on the first steps in model contextualisation: model selection and specification for the Bali irrigation case.
KeywordsABM case studies Bali Irrigation cooperation social-ecological systems social dilemmas
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Biggs, R., Schlüter, M., Biggs, D., Bohensky, E.L., BurnSilver, S., Cundill, G., Dakos, V., Daw, T.M., Evans, L.S., Kotschy, K., Leitch, A.M., Meek, C., Quinlan, A., Raudsepp-Hearne, C., Robards, M.D., Schoon, M.L., Schultz, L., West, P.C.: Toward Principles for Enhancing the Resilience of Ecosystem Services. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 37, 421–448 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Ostrom, E., Dietz, T., Dolsak, N., Stern, P.C., Stonich, S.: The Drama of the Commons. The National Academies Press (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Lansing, J.S.: Perfect Order recognizing complexity in Bali. Princeton University Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Lansing, J.S., Cheong, S.A., Chew, L.Y., Cox, M.P., Ho, M.-H.R., Wiguna, W.A.A.: Alternate stable states in a social-ecological system (in prep.)Google Scholar
- 10.Lansing, J.S., Kremer, J.N., Smuts, B.B.: System-dependent Selection, Ecological Feedback and the Emergence of Functional Structure in Ecosystems. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 377–391 (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Schlüter, M., Tavoni, A., Levin, S.: Robustness of cooperation in a commons dilemma to uncertain resource flows (in prep.)Google Scholar
- 13.Tavoni, A., Schlüter, M., Levin, S.: The survival of the conformist Social pressure and renewable resource management. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 1–10 (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Dugatkin, L.A.: The Evolution of Cooperation. BioScience, 355–362 (1997)Google Scholar
- 15.Nowak, M.A.: Five Rules for the Evolution of Cooperation. Science, New Series 314, 1560–1563 (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Zaggl, M.: Cooperation and reciprocity in two-sided principal-agent relations: an evolutionary perspective (2012)Google Scholar
- 18.Boero, R., Squazzoni, F.: Does Empirical Embeddedness Matter? Methodological Issues on Agent-Based Models for Analytical Social Science. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, 1–31 (2005)Google Scholar