Incremental, Inductive Coverability
We give an incremental, inductive (IC3) procedure to check coverability of well-structured transition systems. Our procedure generalizes the IC3 procedure for safety verification that has been successfully applied in finite-state hardware verification to infinite-state well-structured transition systems. We show that our procedure is sound, complete, and terminating for downward-finite well-structured transition systems —where each state has a finite number of states below it— a class that contains extensions of Petri nets, broadcast protocols, and lossy channel systems.
We have implemented our algorithm for checking coverability of Petri nets. We describe how the algorithm can be efficiently implemented without the use of SMT solvers. Our experiments on standard Petri net benchmarks show that IC3 is competitive with state-of-the-art implementations for coverability based on symbolic backward analysis or expand-enlarge-and-check algorithms both in time and space usage.
KeywordsModel Check Global State Coverability Problem Priority Queue Broadcast Protocol
- 1.Abdulla, P.A., Cerans, K., Jonsson, B., Tsay, Y.-K.: General decidability theorems for infinite-state systems. In: LICS 1996, pp. 313–321. IEEE (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Een, N., Mishchenko, A., Brayton, R.: Efficient implementation of property directed reachability. In: FMCAD 2011, pp. 125–134. FMCAD Inc. (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Emerson, E.A., Namjoshi, K.S.: On model checking for non-deterministic infinite-state systems. In: LICS 1998, pp. 70–80. IEEE (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Esparza, J., Finkel, A., Mayr, R.: On the verification of broadcast protocols. In: LICS 1999, pp. 352–359. IEEE Computer Society (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Esparza, J., Nielsen, M.: Decidability issues for Petri nets – a survey. Bulletin of the EATCS 52, 244–262 (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Higman, G.: Ordering by divisibility in abstract algebras. Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society S3-2(1), 326–336 (1952)Google Scholar
- 17.Kloos, J., Majumdar, R., Niksic, F., Piskac, R.: Incremental, inductive coverability. Technical Report 1301.7321, CoRR (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Majumdar, R., Meyer, R., Wang, Z.: Static provenance verification for message-passing programs. In: SAS 2013 (2013)Google Scholar