Balloting: Speeding Up the Voting Process
Long wait times at the voting polls has grown to be one of the biggest issues in the United States (U.S.) voting process. To address this issue, Balloting is presented as part of a solution to speed up the voting process. The Balloting process gives the voter an opportunity to electronically mark a ballot at his/her convenience, print the completed ballot in the form of a Quick Response (QR) code, and on Election Day, the voting machine is used to scan the voter’s QR code, which brings up the voter’s prior completed ballot for review and modification before officially casting the ballot. A preliminary study was conducted to measure the efficiency of Balloting compared to other methods of voting. As hypothesized, the study revealed that Balloting significantly reduced voting time, which consequently reduces long wait times at the voting polls.
KeywordsElectronic Voting Systems Multimodal Systems Human Computer Interaction Evaluation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Earthman, M.M., Rosso, P.D., Bartlett, J., Carroll, M., Sacchetti, M.: Voters Face Long Lines and Chilly Temperatures. MetroDesk. Boston.com, Web (November 25, 2012), http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012/11/06/voters-face-long-lines-and-freezing-temperatures/AxiIAXKL8efZwxIfP0anJP/story.html
- 2.Bronner, E.: Long Lines, Demands for ID and Provisional Ballots Mar Voting for Some. The New York Times Politics. The New York Times, Web (November 07, 2012), http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/07/us/politics/long-lines-id-demands-and-provisional-ballots-mar-voting.html (November 25, 2012)
- 3.Osher, C.N., Parker, R.: Metro Voters Experience Long Waits in Colorado. The Denver Post, Web (November 06, 2012), http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21939411/election-day-voting-begins-swing-state-colorado (November 25, 2012)
- 4.Campbell, J.: Emergency Lawsuit Filed In Florida Over Long Lines At Early Voting. Huffpost Miami. The Huffington Post, Web (November 04, 2012), http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/04/florida-early-voting-lawsuit_n_2072435.html (November 25, 2012)
- 5.Johnson, L.: Florida voting lines discouraged 201,000 voters statewide: Report (January 24, 2013), http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/florida-voting-lines-report_n_2544373.html (retrieved)
- 6.Belenky, A.S., Larson, R.C.: “To Queue or Not to Queue?” Operations Research Management Science - Voting Queues. Lionheart Publishing, Inc. Web (June 2006), http://www.orms-today.org/orms-6-06/queues.html (November 25, 2012)
- 7.Staff, C.: Obama forms commission on long lines to vote (March 28, 2013), http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/28/obama-to-form-commission-on-long-lines-to-vote/ (retrieved)
- 8.Stewart III, C.: Waiting to Vote in 2012. Journal of Law and Politics, MIT Political Science Department Research Paper No. 2013-6 (April 1, 2013) (forthcoming), Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2243630
- 9.Truitt, A., Pou, C., Werts, M., Hooks, K., Kresslein, J., Ransom, A., Riley, B.: A review of voting machines in South Carolina (March 2013), http://lac.sc.gov/LAC_Reports/2013/Documents/SEC.pdf (retrieved)