Ecosystem Health of Cloud PaaS Providers
Customers of Platform as a Service providers are unable to evaluate the risk of their provider going bankrupt. Lacking this information, businesses are effectively putting their critical business services in jeopardy. In this paper, we present a method to evaluate the ecosystem health of eight different PaaS providers. The results of our research enable businesses and individuals to make an informed decision on what PaaS providers to do business with. Additionally, the PaaS providers themselves are given insight into the current state of their ecosystem compared to competitors.
KeywordsSoftware Ecosystems Cloud PaaS Ecosystem Health Open Source Repository Mining Platform as a Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gartner Says Worldwide IT Spending On Pace to Surpass 3.6 Trillion in (2012), http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=2074815
- 2.Mell, P., Grance, T.: The NIST Definition of Cloud Computing (draft). NIST Special Publication 800-145 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Hartigh, E., Tol, M., Visscher, W.: The Health Measurement of a Business Ecosystem. In: Proceedings of the European Network on Chaos and Complexity Research and Management Practice Meeting (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Iansiti, M., Levien, R.: Strategy as ecology. Harvard Business Review 82(3), 68–81 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Kittlaus, H.B., Clough, P.N.: Software Product Management and Pricing: Key Success Factors for Software Organizations. Springer, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Bosch, J.: From Software Product Lines to Software Ecosystems. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Software Product Line Conference, pp. 111–119. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Jansen, S., Finkelstein, A., Brinkkemper, S.: A Sense of Community: A Research Agenda for Software Ecosystems. In: 31st International Conference on Software Engineering, New and Emerging Research Track, pp. 187–190. IEEE Press, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Spriensma, G.J.: 2012 Year in Review, http://www.distimo.com/publications/archive/Distimo%20Publication%20-%20Full%20Year%202012.pdf
- 13.Stewart, K.J., Gosain, S.: The impact of ideology on effectiveness in open source software development teams. MIS Quarterly 30(2), 291–314 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Krishnamurthy, S.: Cave or community? An empirical examination of 100 mature open source projects. First Monday 7(6) (2002), http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/1477/1392
- 15.Crowston, K., Annabi, H., Howison, J., Masango, C.: Effective work practices for software engineering: free/libre open source software development. In: Proceedings of the 2004 ACM Workshop on Interdisciplinary Software Engineering Research, pp. 18–26. ACM Press, New York (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar