Semiotics of Interaction: Towards a UI Alphabet
In our thinking and acting, natural language plays a central part. This language defines a structure even before we form something, and it can be regarded as the architecture of design. To be able to grasp the expression of these structures in HCI, we chose the perspective of linguistics and semiotics. The semiotics perspective in the context of HCI is increasingly popular in presenting a different approach to UX. In our paper, we take this perspective to build a set of semiotic heuristics which we then used to evaluate a complex UI example. We present a semiotic evaluation method and report the results of our in-depth investigation.
KeywordsAnalysis and design methods Evaluation methods and techniques Interaction design Qualitative and Quantitative Measurement and Evaluation Semiotics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adobe, Inc.: What’s New in Adobe® Photoshop® CS2 (2005), http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressmaterials/creativesuite2/pdfs/ps/PSCS2-WN.pdf (last accessed February 18, 2013)
- 2.Andersen, P.B.: A theory of computer semiotics: semiotic approaches to construction and assessment of computer systems. Cambridge University Press (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Barthes, R.: Elements of Semiology. Hill and Wang (April 1977)Google Scholar
- 4.Buchler, J.: Philosophical writings of Peirce. Dover (1955)Google Scholar
- 5.Eco, U.: A Theory of Semiotics. Advances in Semiotics. Indiana University Press (February 1979)Google Scholar
- 6.The GIMP Team. GIMP - Development (2009), http://gimp.org/develop/ (last accessed September 19, 2009)
- 7.Marcus, A., et al.: Heuristic Evaluation Guidelines. Aaron Marcus and Associates, Inc. (2003) (Internal document)Google Scholar
- 10.Morris, C.W.: Foundations of the Theory of Signs. The University of Chicago Press (1970)Google Scholar
- 11.Nadin, M.: Interface design: A semiotic paradigm. Semiotica 69(3), 269–302 (1988)Google Scholar
- 12.De Souza, C.S., et al.: The semiotic inspection method. In: Proceedings of VII Brazilian Symposium on Human Factors in Computing Systems (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.De Souza, C.S.: The Semiotic Engineering of Human-Computer Interaction (Acting with Technology). The MIT Press (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Sutherland: On-line graphical specification of computer procedures. PhD Thesis (1966), http://oai.dtic.mil