Estimation of Interruptibility during Office Work Based on PC Activity and Conversation
The chances of being interrupted by online communication systems, such as email, instant messenger, and micro-blog, are rapidly increasing. For the adequate control of interruption timing, the real-time estimation of the interruptibility of the user is required. In this study, we propose an interruptibility estimation method using PC activity and conversational voice detection based on the wavelet transform. The offline estimation was applied to a dataset of 50 hours obtained from 10 users. The results indicated the feasibility of improving the interruptibility estimation accuracy by the automatic detection of the existence and end of conversations.
Keywordsinterruptibility availability voice detection office work interruption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Cutrell, E.B., Czerwinski, M., Horvitz, E.: Effects of instant messaging interruptions on computing tasks. In: Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 99–100 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Mark, G., Gonzalez, V.M., Harris, J.: No Task Left Behind? Examining the Nature of Fragmented Work. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 321–330. ACM, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Honda, S., Tomioka, H., Kimura, T., Oosawa, T., Okada, K., Matsushita, Y.: A Home Office Environment based on the Concentration Degrees of Workers: A Virtual Office System Valentine. Trans. Inform. Process. Soc. Jpn. 39(5), 1472–1483 (1998) (in Japanese) Google Scholar
- 10.Lu, H., Pan, W., Lane, N.D., Choudhury, T., Campbell, A.T.: SoundSense: Scalable Sound Sensing for People-Centric Applications on Mobile Phones. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Mobile systems, Applications, and Services, pp. 165–178 (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Juang, C.-F., Cheng, C.-N., Che, T.-M.: Speech detection in Noisy Environments by Wavelet Energy-based Recurrent Neural Fuzzy Network. Expert Syst. Appl. 36(1) (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.Tanaka, T., Fukasawa, S., Takeuchi, K., Nonaka, M., Fujita, K.: Study of Uninterruptibility Estimation Method for Office Worker during PC Work. Inform. Process. Soc. Jpn. 53(1), 126–137 (2012) (in Japanese)Google Scholar