Effects of Long-Time 3D Viewing on the Eye Function of Accommodation and Convergence
Recently we developed a device by combining a binocular autorefractometer and an eye mark recorder. Then, using the device together with images of very natural and high quality, we have carried out a sequence of experiments on simultaneous measurements of both accommodation and convergence while viewing virtual 3D objects.
The results show that there is essentially no discrepancy in the dynamical behaviors of accommodation and convergence especially for young subjects and that they are hence very close to the case of natural viewing of real 3D objects.
Following our previous experiments, we now investigate effects of long-time viewing of virtual 3D objects on the eye function of accommodation and convergence. We show that the synchronous dynamical behaviors of accommodation and convergence are definitely not a temporal effect but last for a long time.
Keywords3D virtual image accommodation convergence long-time viewing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.3DC Safety Guidelines for Dissemination of Human-Friendly 3D (Conforming with International Guidelines “ISO IWA3”). Safety/Guidelines Section in 3D Consortium (3DC), Japan (2010), http://www.3dc.gr.jp/english/scmt_wg_rep/3dc_guideE_20111031.pdf
- 2.Hori, H., Shiomi, T., Kanda, T., Hasegawa, A., Ishio, H., Matsuura, Y., Omori, M., Takada, H., Hasegawa, S., Miyao, M.: Comparison of Accommodation and Convergence by Simultaneous Measurements during 2D and 3D Vision Gaze. In: Shumaker, R. (ed.) Virtual and Mixed Reality, HCII 2011, Part I. LNCS, vol. 6773, pp. 306–314. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Shiomi, T., Hori, H., Uemoto, K., Miyao, M., Takada, H., Hasegawa, S., Omori, M., Watanabe, T., Ishio, H.: Comparison of Simultaneous Measurement of Lens Accommodation and Convergence in Natural Vision and 3D Vision. In: Proceedings of Society for Information Display (SID) 2012 International Symposium “Display Week 2012”, SID 2012 Digest of Technical Papers, pp. 1178–1181 (2012); awarded a prize “Distinguished Student Poster Paper”Google Scholar
- 6.Shiomi, T., Uemoto, K., Kojima, T., Sano, S., Ishio, H., Takada, H., Omori, M., Watanabe, T., Miyao, M.: Simultaneous Measurement of Lens Accommodation and Convergence in Natural and Artificial 3D Vision (submitted)Google Scholar
- 7.Patterson, R.: Human Factors of Stereo Displays: An Update. J. SID 17, 987–996 (2009)Google Scholar