Learning Analytics to Support the Use of Virtual Worlds in the Classroom
Virtual worlds in education, intelligent tutorial systems, and learning analytics – all these are current buzz words in recent educational research. In this paper we introduce ProNIFA, a tool to support theory-grounded learning analytics developed in the context of the European project Next-Tell. Concretely we describe a log file analysis and presentation module to enable teachers making effectively use of educational scenarios in virtual worlds such as OpenSimulator or Second Life.
KeywordsLearning analytics CbKST virtual worlds OpernSimulator data visualization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dionisio, J., Burns, W., Gilbert, R.: 3D virtual worlds and the Metaverse: Current status and futre possibilities (2011) (unpublished manuscript)Google Scholar
- 2.Gibbs, C.B., Gibson, J.L.: Unpacking the concept of virtuality: The effects of geographic dispersion, electronic dependence, dynamic structure, and national diversity on team innovation. Administrative. Science Quarterly 51, 451–495 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Falmagne, J., Cosyn, E., Doignon, J., Thiéry, N.: The Assessment of Knowledge. Theory and in Practice (2003), http://www.scribd.com/doc/3155044/Science-Behind-ALEKS
- 8.Albert, D., Lukas, J. (eds.): Knowledge spaces: Theories, empirical research, and applications. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Korossy, K.: Modelling knowledge as competence and performance. In: Albert, D., Lukas, J. (eds.) Knowledge Spaces: Theories, Empirical Research, and Applications, pp. 103–132. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah (1999)Google Scholar