On Propositional QBF Expansions and Q-Resolution
Over the years, proof systems for propositional satisfiability (SAT) have been extensively studied. Recently, proof systems for quantified Boolean formulas (QBFs) have also been gaining attention. Q-resolution is a calculus enabling producing proofs from DPLL-based QBF solvers. While DPLL has become a dominating technique for SAT, QBF has been tackled by other complementary and competitive approaches. One of these approaches is based on expanding variables until the formula contains only one type of quantifier; upon which a SAT solver is invoked. This approach motivates the theoretical analysis carried out in this paper. We focus on a two phase proof system, which expands the formula in the first phase and applies propositional resolution in the second. Fragments of this proof system are defined and compared to Q-resolution.
KeywordsProof System Conjunctive Normal Form Universal Variable Resolution Step Conjunctive Normal Form Formula
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Bubeck, U.: Model-based transformations for quantified Boolean formulas. Ph.D. thesis, University of Paderborn (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Büning, H.K., Bubeck, U.: Theory of quantified boolean formulas. In: Handbook of Satisfiability. IOS Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Büning, H.K., Karpinski, M., Flögel, A.: Resolution for quantified Boolean formulas. Inf. Comput. 117(1) (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Cimatti, A., Sebastiani, R. (eds.): SAT 2012. LNCS, vol. 7317. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Egly, U.: On sequent systems and resolution for QBFs. In: Cimatti, Sebastiani (eds.) , pp. 100–113Google Scholar
- 13.Giunchiglia, E., Marin, P., Narizzano, M.: QuBE 7.0 system description. Journal on Satisfiability, Boolean Modeling and Computation 7 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Janota, M., Klieber, W., Marques-Silva, J., Clarke, E.M.: Solving QBF with counterexample guided refinement. In: Cimatti, Sebastiani (eds.) , pp. 114–128Google Scholar
- 20.Lonsing, F., Biere, A.: DepQBF: A dependency-aware QBF solver. JSAT (2010)Google Scholar
- 21.Rintanen, J.: Improvements to the evaluation of quantified Boolean formulae. In: Dean, T. (ed.) IJCAI, pp. 1192–1197. Morgan Kaufmann (1999)Google Scholar
- 22.Urquhart, A.: The complexity of propositional proofs. Bulletin of the EATCS 64 (1998)Google Scholar
- 23.Zhang, L., Malik, S.: Conflict driven learning in a quantified Boolean satisfiability solver. In: ICCAD (2002)Google Scholar