Exploiting the Power of mip Solvers in maxsat
maxsat is an optimization version of satisfiability. Since many practical problems involve optimization, there are a wide range of potential applications for effective maxsat solvers. In this paper we present an extensive empirical evaluation of a number of maxsat solvers. In addition to traditional maxsat solvers, we also evaluate the use of a state-of-the-art Mixed Integer Program (mip) solver, cplex, for solving maxsat. mip solvers are the most popular technology for solving optimization problems and are also theoretically more powerful than sat solvers. In fact, we show that cplex is quite effective on a range of maxsat instances. Based on these observations we extend a previously developed hybrid approach for solving maxsat, that utilizes both a sat solver and a mip solver. Our extensions aim to take better advantage of the power of the mip solver. The resulting improved hybrid solver is shown to be quite effective.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ansótegui, C., Bonet, M.L., Levy, J.: A new algorithm for weighted partial maxsat. In: Proceedings of the AAAI National Conference (AAAI), pp. 3–8 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Argelich, J., Li, C.M., Manyà, F., Planes, J.: The maxsat evaluations (2007-2011), http://www.maxsat.udl.cat
- 4.Berre, D.L., Parrain, A.: The sat4j library, release 2.2. JSAT 7(2-3), 59–64 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Buss, S.R.: Lectures on proof theory. Tech. rep. (1996), http://www.math.ucsd.edu/~sbuss/ResearchWeb/Barbados95Notes/reporte.pdf
- 6.Chandrasekaran, K., Karp, R., Moreno-Centeno, E., Vempala, S.: Algorithms for implicit hitting set problems. In: Proceedings of the Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), pp. 614–629 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Heras, F., Morgado, A., Marques-Silva, J.: Core-guided binary search algorithms for maximum satisfiability. In: Proceedings of the AAAI National Conference (AAAI), pp. 36–41 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Kügel, A.: Improved exact solver for the weighted Max-SAT problem. In: Workshop on the Pragmatics of SAT (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Zhang, L., Bacchus, F.: Maxsat heuristics for cost optimal planning. In: Proceedings of the AAAI National Conference (AAAI) (2012)Google Scholar