Refinement-Based Similarity Measure over DL Conjunctive Queries
Similarity assessment is a key operation in case-based reasoning and other areas of artificial intelligence. This paper focuses on measuring similarity in the context of Description Logics (DL), and specifically on similarity between individuals. The main contribution of this paper is a novel approach based on measuring similarity in the space of Conjunctive Queries, rather than in the space of concepts. The advantage of this approach is two fold. On the one hand it is independent of the underlying DL, and thus, there is no need to design similarity measures for different DL, and on the other hand, the approach is computationally more efficient than searching in the space of concepts.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Baader, F., Calvanese, D., McGuinness, D.L., Nardi, D., Patel-Schneider, P.F.: The Description Logic Handbook: Theory, Implementation and Applications. Cambridge University Press, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Bisson, G.: Learing in FOL with a similarity measure. In: Proceedings of AAAI 1992, pp. 82–87 (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Bodenreider, O., Smith, B., Kumar, A., Burgun, A.: Investigating subsumption in SNOMED CT: An exploration into large description logic-based biomedical terminologies. Artif. Intell. Med. 39, 183–195 (2007), http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1240342.1240604 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Emde, W., Wettschereck, D.: Relational instance based learning. In: Saitta, L. (ed.) Machine Learning - Proceedings 13th International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 122–130. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.González-Calero, P.A., Díaz-Agudo, B., Gómez-Albarrán, M.: Applying DLs for retrieval in case-based reasoning. In: Proceedings of the 1999 Description Logics Workshop (DL 1999) (1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Motik, B.: Reasoning in Description Logics using Resolution and Deductive Databases. Ph.D. thesis, Univesitat Karlsruhe (TH), Karlsruhe, Germany (January 2006)Google Scholar
- 22.Winkler, W.E., Thibaudeau, Y.: An application of the Fellegi-Sunter model of record linkage to the 1990 U.S. decennial census. In: U.S. Decennial Census. Technical report, US Bureau of the Census (1987)Google Scholar