Semi-automated Prototyping of a TPM v2 Software and Hardware Simulation Platform
Recently, the Trusted Computing Group (TCG) released first specification documents on the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2 to the general public. This new TPM specification introduces a novel set of commands and concepts, which in part are fundamentally different to the features found on the previous generation of the Trusted Platform Module. At the time of this writing hardware prototypes and software simulators of the TPM v2 are not available to the general public. In this paper, we explore a semi-automated process to synthesize a TPM v2 software simulator from the published TCG specifications. To demonstrate the feasibility of our approach, we first assemble a prototype TPM v2 software simulator. Further, we show how this prototype TPM v2 software simulator can be hosted on an FPGA platform, which then subsequently can be used as an early hardware simulator for next generation TPMs.
KeywordsTrusted Platform Module Trusted Computing TPM v2 Simulator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Grawrock, D.: Dynamics of a Trusted Platform: A Building Block Approach. Intel Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Huewe, P.: char/tpm: Add new driver for Infineon I2C TIS TPM (February 21, 2011), LKML article archived at: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1103300
- 3.Intel: Intel Low Pin Count (LPC) Interface Specification, revision 1.1. (August 2002), http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/industry/25128901.pdf
- 4.Martin, A.: The ten page introduction to trusted computing. Tech. Rep. RR-08-11, OUCL (December 2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Morav, D.: TPM Nuvoton I2C driver, kernel 2.6.35 (August 9, 2010), LKML article archived at: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1020890
- 6.Trusted Computing Group: TCG PC Client Specific TPM Interface Specification (TIS), version 1.2 FINAL. For TPM Family 1.2; Level 2 (July 11, 2005), http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/
- 7.Trusted Computing Group: TCG Software Stack Specification (2007), http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/resources/tcg_software_stack_tss_specification
- 8.Trusted Computing Group: TCG TPM Specification Version 1.x (2007), http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/resources/tpm_main_specification
- 9.Trusted Computing Group: Do You Know? A Few Notes on Trusted Computing Out in the World (2011), http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/community/2011/03/do_you_know_a_few_notes_on_trusted_computing_out_in_the_world
- 10.Trusted Computing Group: Trusted Platform Module Library Family 2.0, Level 00 Revision 00.93 (2012), http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/resources/trusted_platform_module_specifications_in_public_review