Groupwise Simultaneous Manifold Alignment for High-Resolution Dynamic MR Imaging of Respiratory Motion
Respiratory motion is a complicating factor for many applications in medical imaging and there is significant interest in dynamic imaging that can be used to estimate such motion. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is an attractive modality for motion estimation but current techniques cannot achieve good image contrast inside the lungs. Manifold learning is a powerful tool to discover the underlying structure of high-dimensional data. Aligning the manifolds of multiple datasets can be useful to establish relationships between different types of data. However, the current state-of-the-art in manifold alignment is not robust to the wide variations in manifold structure that may occur in clinical datasets. In this work we propose a novel, fully automatic technique for the simultaneous alignment of large numbers of manifolds with varying manifold structure. We apply the technique to reconstruct high-resolution and high-contrast dynamic 3D MRI images from multiple 2D datasets for the purpose of respiratory motion estimation. The proposed method is validated on synthetic data with known ground truth and real data. We demonstrate that our approach can be applied to reconstruct significantly more accurate and consistent dynamic images of the lungs compared to the current state-of-the-art in manifold alignment.
KeywordsManifold learning manifold alignment MRI of the lungs respiratory motion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Belkin, M., Niyogi, P.: Laplacian eigenmaps and spectral techniques for embedding and clustering. Adv. Neur. In. 14, 585–591 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Georg, M., Souvenir, R., Hope, A., Pless, R.: Manifold learning for 4D CT reconstruction of the lung. In: Proc. IEEE CVPRW, pp. 1–8 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Ham, J., Lee, D., Saul, L.: Semisupervised alignment of manifolds. In: AI and Statistics, vol. 10, pp. 120–127 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Torki, M., Elgammal, A., Lee, C.S.: Learning a joint manifold representation from multiple data sets. In: Proc. IEEE ICPR, pp. 1068–1071 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Wang, C., Mahadevan, S.: Manifold alignment using Procrustes analysis. In: Proc. ICML (2008)Google Scholar
- 18.Zhai, D., Li, B., Chang, H., Shan, S., Chen, X., Gao, W.: Manifold alignment via corresponding projections. In: Proc. BMVC, pp. 3–11 (2010)Google Scholar