Fixed-Parameter Tractability of Workflow Satisfiability in the Presence of Seniority Constraints
The workflow satisfiability problem is concerned with determining whether it is possible to find an allocation of authorized users to the steps in a workflow in such a way that all constraints are satisfied. The problem is NP-hard in general, but is known to be fixed-parameter tractable for certain classes of constraints. In this paper, we provide the first results that establish fixed-parameter tractability of the satisfiability problem when the constraints are asymmetric. We also establish a lower bound for the hardness of the workflow satisfiability problem.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Crampton, J., Crowston, R., Gutin, G., Jones, M., Ramanujan, M.: Fixed-parameter tractability of workflow satisfiability in the presence of seniority constraints. CoRR abs/1210.3978 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Crampton, J.: A reference monitor for workflow systems with constrained task execution. In: SACMAT 2005, pp. 38–47 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Crampton, J., Gutin, G.: Constraint Expressions and Workflow Satisfiability. In: SACMAT 2013 (to appear, 2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Crampton, J., Gutin, G., Yeo, A.: On the Parameterized Complexity and Kernelization of the Workflow Satisfiability Problem. ACM Trans. Inform. System & Secur. (to appear), Preliminary version in. ACM Conf. Comput. & Communic. Secur., pp. 857–868 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Flum, J., Grohe, M.: Parameterized Complexity Theory. In: Texts in Theoretical Computer Science. Springer (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Kloks, T. (ed.): Treewidth. Computations and Approximations. LNCS, vol. 842. Springer, Heidelberg (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Marx, D.: Can you beat treewidth? Theory of Computing 6(1), 85–112 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Niedermeier, R.: Invitation to Fixed-Parameter Algorithms. Oxford University Press (2006)Google Scholar