Sustainable Entrepreneurship: A Driver for Social Innovation
- 4.2k Downloads
Sustainable Entrepreneurship and Social Innovation are not necessarily new concepts; they have existed for several years but seem to become increasingly relevant to companies, NGO’s and governments throughout the world every year. Many companies take these developments very seriously, as they understand that they are part of a new way of doing business in the future and thus create their own capacity to endure. One of the key challenges is, however, a partially unclear understanding of the concepts, how they can be implemented and how an impact can be created. In addition, concepts like Social Entrepreneurship or Sustainable Innovation exist and add to the complexity. As with most new concepts, this unclear understanding could ultimately hinder the development of a concept that, if applied seriously, might have a significant contribution on improving the way we collaborate, innovate and ultimately have a positive impact on the world.
KeywordsOpen Innovation Social Entrepreneurship Social Entrepreneur Core Business Social Innovation
- Baldwin, E., & Curley, M. (2007). Managing IT innovation for business value (IT Best Practice Series). Santa Clara: Intel Press.Google Scholar
- Chesbrough, H. (2003). Open innovation: The new imperative for creating and profiting from technology. Boston: Harvard Business School.Google Scholar
- Crals, E., & Vereeck, L. (2007). Sustainable entrepreneurship in SME’s. Theory and Practice. http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/ptb/ejgc/ejgc3/cralsvereeck%20paper.pdf. Accessed 09 Dec 2012.
- Drucker, P. F. (1985). Innovation & entrepreneurship. New York: Harper Trade.Google Scholar
- Edelman (Eds.). (2012). Edelman Trust Barometer 2012. http://trust.edelman.com/. Accessed 04 Jan 2013.
- EU-Commission (Eds.). (2012a). Social innovation http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/Innovation/policy/social-Innovation/index_en.htm. Accessed 09 Dec 2012.
- EU-Commission (Eds.). (2012b). Strengthening social innovation in Europe – a journey to affective assessment and metrics. http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/Innovation/files/social-Innovation/strengthening-social-Innovation_en.pdf. Accessed 09 Dec 2012.
- European Business School (EBS) (2012). http://www.ebs.edu/socialinnovation.html?&L=1. Accessed 09 Dec 2012.
- Googins, B. (2013). Transforming corporate social responsibility: Leading with innovation. In T. Osburg & R. Schmidpeter (Eds.), Social innovation – solutions for a sustainable future. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- INSEAD (2012). What is “social innovation”? http://www.insead.edu/facultyresearch/centres/isic/home/about_us.cfm. Accessed 09 Dec 2012.
- Moore, G. (1999). Crossing the chasm. New York: HarperCollins.Google Scholar
- Osburg, T. (2013). Social innovation to drive corporate sustainability. In T. Osburg & R. Schmidpeter (Eds.), Social innovation – solutions for a sustainable future. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Osburg, T., & Schmidpeter, R. (2013). Social innovation – Quo vadis. In T. Osburg & R. Schmidpeter (Eds.), Social innovation – solutions for a sustainable future. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Porter, M. E., & Kramer, M. R. (2011). Creating shared value. How to reinvent capitalism – and unleash a wave of innovation and growth. In Harvard Business Review January-February 2011.Google Scholar
- Schaltegger, S., & Wagner, M. (2011). Sustainable entrepreneurship and sustainability innovation: Categories and interactions, Wuerzburg. http://www.bwl.uni-wuerzburg.de/fileadmin/12020800/_temp_/Wagner_-_Sustainable_Entrepreneurship_and_Sustainability_Innovation.pdf. Accessed 04 Jan 2013.
- Schoening, M. (2013). Social entrepreneurs as main drivers of social innovation. In T. Osburg & R. Schmidpeter (Eds.), Social innovation – solutions for a sustainable future. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Schumpeter, J. A. (1982). The theory of economic development: An inquiry into profits, capital, credit, interest, and the business cycle. New Brunswick: Transaction Publishers.Google Scholar
- Stummer, C., Guenther, M., & Köck, A. M. (2010). Grundzuege des Innovations-und Technologiemanagements. Vienna: Facultas.Google Scholar
- Weber, M. (2007). Towards sustainable entrepreneurship. A value creating perspective on corporate societal strategies. Lueneburg: University of Lueneburg, Centre for Sustainability Management.Google Scholar
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development (2012). www.wbcsd.org. Accessed 10 Dec 2012.