Understanding Process Behaviours in a Large Insurance Company in Australia: A Case Study
Having a reliable understanding about the behaviours, problems, and performance of existing processes is important in enabling a targeted process improvement initiative. Recently, there has been an increase in the application of innovative process mining techniques to facilitate evidence-based understanding about organizations’ business processes. Nevertheless, the application of these techniques in the domain of finance in Australia is, at best, scarce. This paper details a 6-month case study on the application of process mining in one of the largest insurance companies in Australia. In particular, the challenges encountered, the lessons learned, and the results obtained from this case study are detailed. Through this case study, we not only validated existing ‘lessons learned’ from other similar case studies, but also added new insights that can be beneficial to other practitioners in applying process mining in their respective fields.
Keywordsprocess mining case study business process management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.De Weerdt, J., vanden Broucke, S.K.L.M., Vanthienen, J., Baesens, B.: Leveraging process discovery with trace clustering and text mining for intelligent analysis of incident management processes. In: IEEE CEC, pp. 1–8. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Gartner. Gartner exp worldwide survey of nearly 1,600 CIOs shows IT budgets in 2010 to be at 2005 levels. Gartner (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Jones, T.: Understand how ABPD can help improve business processes. Gartner (March 2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Mans, R., et al.: Process mining techniques: an application to stroke care. In: Ehealth Beyond the Horizon- Get it There, pp. 573–578. IOS Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Saravanan, M.S.: Application of process mining in insurance: A case study for UTI. Int. Jour. of Adv. Comp. and Math. Sciences 2(3), 141–150 (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Process Mining - Discovery, Conformance and Enhancement of Business Processes. Springer (2011)Google Scholar
- 21.van der Heijden, T.H.C.: Process mining project methodology: Developing a general approach to apply process mining in practice. Master’s thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology (2012)Google Scholar
- 22.van der Wiel, T.: Process mining using integer linear programming. Master’s thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology (2010)Google Scholar
- 24.Weijters, A.J.M.M., van der Aalst, W.M.P., Medeiros, A.K.A.: Process mining with the heuristic miner-algorithm. BETA Working Paper Series WP 166, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands (2006)Google Scholar
- 25.Witten, I.H., et al.: Weka: Practical machine learning tools and techniques with Java implementations. In: Emerging Knowledge Engineering and Connectionist-Based Information Systems, pp. 192–196. University of Otago (1999)Google Scholar