Improving 3D Keypoint Detection from Noisy Data Using Growing Neural Gas
3D sensors provides valuable information for mobile robotic tasks like scene classification or object recognition, but these sensors often produce noisy data that makes impossible applying classical keypoint detection and feature extraction techniques. Therefore, noise removal and downsampling have become essential steps in 3D data processing. In this work, we propose the use of a 3D filtering and down-sampling technique based on a Growing Neural Gas (GNG) network. GNG method is able to deal with outliers presents in the input data. These features allows to represent 3D spaces, obtaining an induced Delaunay Triangulation of the input space. Experiments show how the state-of-the-art keypoint detectors improve their performance using GNG output representation as input data. Descriptors extracted on improved keypoints perform better matching in robotics applications as 3D scene registration.
KeywordsGNG Noisy Point Cloud Visual Features Keypoint Detection Filtering 3D Scene Registration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Szummer, M., Picard, R.W.: Indoor-outdoor image classification. In: Proceedings of the 1998 IEEE International Workshop Content-Based Access of Image and Video Database, pp. 42–51 (January 1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Nuchter, A., Surmann, H., Lingemann, K., Hertzberg, J., Thrun, S.: 6d slam with an application in autonomous mine mapping. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1998–2003 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Connolly, C.: Cumulative generation of octree models from range data. In: Proceedings of the 1984 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 1, pp. 25–32 (March 1984)Google Scholar
- 5.Fritzke, B.: A Growing Neural Gas Network Learns Topologies, vol. 7, pp. 625–632. MIT Press (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Rusu, R.B., Blodow, N., Beetz, M.: Fast point feature histograms (fpfh) for 3d registration. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA 2009, pp. 3212–3217 (May 2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Tombari, F., Salti, S., Di Stefano, L.: A combined texture-shape descriptor for enhanced 3d feature matching. In: 2011 18th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP, pp. 809–812 (September 2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Rusu, R.B., Cousins, S.: 3D is here: Point Cloud Library (PCL). In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA, Shanghai, China, May 9-13 (2011)Google Scholar