Passive Testing with Asynchronous Communications
Testing is usually understood to involve the tester interacting with the studied system by supplying input and observing output. However, sometimes this active interaction is not possible and testing becomes more passive. In this setting, passive testing can be considered to be the process of checking that the observations made regarding the system satisfy certain required properties. In this paper we study a formal passive testing framework for systems where there is an asynchronous communications channel between the tester and the system. We consider a syntactic definition of a class of properties and provide a semantic representation, as automata, that take into account the different observations that we can expect due to the assumption of asynchrony. Our solution checks properties against traces in polynomial time, with a low need for storage. Therefore, our proposal is very suitable for real-time passive testing.
- 10.Hennie, F.C.: Fault-detecting experiments for sequential circuits. In: 5th Annual Symposium on Switching Circuit Theory and Logical Design, pp. 95–110. IEEE Computer Society (1964)Google Scholar
- 11.Henniger, O.: On test case generation from asynchronously communicating state machines. In: 10th Int. Workshop on Testing of Communicating Systems, IWTCS 1997, pp. 255–271. Chapman & Hall (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Hierons, R.M., Bogdanov, K., Bowen, J.P., Cleaveland, R., Derrick, J., Dick, J., Gheorghe, M., Harman, M., Kapoor, K., Krause, P., Luettgen, G., Simons, A.J.H., Vilkomir, S., Woodward, M.R., Zedan, H.: Using formal specifications to support testing. ACM Computing Surveys 41(2) (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Hierons, R.M., Merayo, M.G., Núñez, M.: Scenarios-based testing of systems with distributed ports. Software - Practice and Experience 41(10), 999–1026 (2011)Google Scholar
- 21.Lee, D., Netravali, A.N., Sabnani, K.K., Sugla, B., John, A.: Passive testing and applications to network management. In: 5th IEEE Int. Conf. on Network Protocols, ICNP 1997, pp. 113–122. IEEE Computer Society (1997)Google Scholar
- 24.Morales, G., Maag, S., Cavalli, A.R., Mallouli, W., Montes de Oca, E., Wehbi, B.: Timed extended invariants for the passive testing of web services. In: 8th IEEE Int. Conf. on Web Services, ICWS 2010, pp. 592–599. IEEE Computer Society (2010)Google Scholar