Quantifier Instantiation Techniques for Finite Model Finding in SMT
SMT-based applications increasingly rely on SMT solvers being able to deal with quantified formulas. Current work shows that for formulas with quantifiers over uninterpreted sorts counter-models can be obtained by integrating a finite model finding capability into the architecture of a modern SMT solver. We examine various strategies for on-demand quantifier instantiation in this setting. Here, completeness can be achieved by considering all ground instances over the finite domain of each quantifier. However, exhaustive instantiation quickly becomes unfeasible with larger domain sizes. We propose instantiation strategies to identify and consider only a selection of ground instances that suffices to determine the satisfiability of the input formula. We also examine heuristic quantifier instantiation techniques such as E-matching for the purpose of accelerating the search. We give experimental evidence that our approach is practical for use in industrial applications and is competitive with other approaches.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baader, F., Nipkow, T.: Term Rewriting and All That. Cambridge University Press (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Blanchette, J.C.: Personal communication (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Claessen, K., Sörensson, N.: New techniques that improve MACE-style finite model building. In: CADE-19 Workshop: Model Computation – Principles, Algorithms, Applications, pp. 11–27 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Ganzinger, H., Korovin, K.: New directions in instantiation-based theorem proving. In: Proceedings of LICS 2003, pp. 55–64. IEEE Computer Society (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Goel, A., Krstic, S., Tuttle, R.L.M.: SMT-based system verification with DVF. In: Proceedings of SMT 2012 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Reynolds, A., Tinelli, C., Goel, A., Krstić, S.: Finite model finding in SMT. In: Proceedings of CAV 2013. LNCS. Springer (accepted, 2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Tuttle, M.R., Goel, A.: Protocol proof checking simplified with SMT. In: Proceedings of NCA 2012, pp. 195–202. IEEE Computer Society (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.Zhang, J., Zhang, H.: SEM: a system for enumerating models. In: Proceedings of IJCAI 1995, pp. 298–303 (1995)Google Scholar