Group Nearest Neighbor Queries in the L1 Plane
Let P be a set of n points in the plane. The k-nearest neighbor (k-NN) query problem is to preprocess P into a data structure that quickly reports k closest points in P for a query point q. This paper addresses a generalization of the k-NN query problem to a query set Q of points, namely, the group nearest neighbor problem, in the L 1 plane. More precisely, a query is assigned with a set Q of at most m points and a positive integer k with k ≤ n, and the distance between a point p and a query set Q is determined as the sum of L 1 distances from p to all q ∈ Q. The maximum number m of query points Q is assumed to be known in advance and to be at most n; that is, m ≤ n. In this paper, we propose two methods, one based on the range tree and the other based on the segment dragging query, obtaining the following complexity bounds: (1) a group k-NN query can be handled in O(m 2logn + k(loglogn + logm)) time after preprocessing P in O(m 2 n log2 n) time and space, or (2) a query can be handled in O(m 2logn + (k + m)log2 n) time after preprocessing P in O(m 2 nlogn) time using O(m 2 n) space. We also show that our approach can be applied to the group k-farthest neighbor query problem.
KeywordsQuery Point Query Time Point Event Neighbor Query Neighbor Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Beygelzimer, A., Kakade, S., Langford, J.: Cover trees for nearest neighbor. In: Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Machine Learning, ICML 2006, pp. 97–104. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.de Berg, M., Cheong, O., van Kreveld, M., Overmars, M.: Computational Geometry: Algorithms and Applications, 3rd edn. Springer (2008)Google Scholar
- 17.Papadias, D., Shen, Q., Tao, Y., Mouratidis, K.: Group nearest neighbor queries. In: Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Data Engineering, March-April 2, pp. 301–312 (2004)Google Scholar
- 20.Rockafellar, R.T.: Convex Analysis. Princeton University Press (1996)Google Scholar
- 22.Wang, H., Zhang, W.: The L1 Nearest Neighbor Searching with Uncertain Queries. ArXiv e-prints (November 2012)Google Scholar
- 23.Witzgall, C.: Optimal location of a central facility: mathematical models and concepts. National Bureau of Standards (1964)Google Scholar