Four Measures of Nonlinearity
Cryptographic applications, such as hashing, block ciphers and stream ciphers, make use of functions which are simple by some criteria (such as circuit implementations), yet hard to invert almost everywhere. A necessary condition for the latter property is to be “sufficiently distant” from linear, and cryptographers have proposed several measures for this distance. In this paper, we show that four common measures, nonlinearity, algebraic degree, annihilator immunity, and multiplicative complexity, are incomparable in the sense that for each pair of measures, μ 1,μ 2, there exist functions f 1,f 2 with μ 1(f 1) > μ 1(f 2) but μ 2(f 1) < μ 2(f 2). We also present new connections between two of these measures. Additionally, we give a lower bound on the multiplicative complexity of collision-free functions.
KeywordsBoolean Function Block Cipher Stream Cipher Bend Function Algebraic Degree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Carlet, C.: Boolean functions for cryptography and error correcting codes. In: Crama, Y., Hammer, P.L. (eds.) Boolean Models and Methods in Mathematics, Computer Science, and Engineering, ch. 8, pp. 257–397. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Courtois, N., Hulme, D., Mourouzis, T.: Solving circuit optimisation problems in cryptography and cryptanalysis, e-print can be found at http://eprint.iacr.org/2011/475.pdf
- 17.Kavut, S., Maitra, S., Yücel, M.D.: There exist Boolean functions on n (odd) variables having nonlinearity > 2n − 1 - 2(n − 1)/2 if and only if n>7. IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive 2006, 181 (2006)Google Scholar
- 19.Lupanov, O.: On rectifier and switching-and-rectifier schemes. Dokl. Akad. 30 Nauk SSSR 111, 1171-1174 (1965)Google Scholar
- 24.O’Donnell, R.: Analysis of Boolean Functions. Book Draft (2012), http://www.analysisofbooleanfunctions.org
- 30.Zhegalkin, I.I.: On the technique of calculating propositions in symbolic logic. Matematicheskii Sbornik 43, 9–28 (1927)Google Scholar