Similarity Weighted Ensembles for Relocating Models of Rare Events
Spatially distributed regions may have different influences that affect the underlying physical processes and make it inappropriate to directly relocate learned models. We may also be aiming to detect rare events for which we have examples in some regions, but not others. A novel method is presented for combining classifiers trained on regions with known sensor data and predicting rare events in new regions, specifically the closure of shellfish farms. The proposed similarity weighted ensemble method demonstrates an average 10 fold improvement in accuracy over One Class classification and 3 fold improvement over rules hand-crafted by an expert.
KeywordsMatthews Correlation Faecal Bacterium Fold Improvement National Weather Service Practical Salinity Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bernard, E., Meinig, C.: History and future of deep-ocean tsunami measurements. In: OCEANS 2011, pp. 1–7. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Chigbu, P., Strange, T., Gordon, S., Jester, K., Baham, J., Young, J., Hughes, R., Remata, R., Martinolich, K., Hilbert, K., Mott, D., Watts, M., McIntosh, M.: Development of decision support tools for aquaculture: the pond experience. Journal of Shellfish Research 25(3), 1091–1099 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Chawla, N., Bowyer, K., Hall, L., Kegelmeyer, W.: SMOTE: Synthetic minority over-sampling technique. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research 16, 341–378 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Tax, D.: One-class classification. PhD thesis, Delft University of Technology (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Minku, L.L., Yao, X.: Using unreliable data for creating more reliable online learners. In: The 2012 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), pp. 1–8. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Wang, H., Fan, W., Yu, P., Han, J.: Mining concept-drifting data streams using ensemble classifiers. In: Proceedings of the Ninth ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 226–235. ACM (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Hall, M., Frank, E., Holmes, G., Pfahringer, B., Reutemann, P., Witten, I.: The Weka data mining software: An update. SIGKDD Explorations 11(1) (2009)Google Scholar