Towards a Framework for Designing Full Model Selection and Optimization Systems
People from a variety of industrial domains are beginning to realise that appropriate use of machine learning techniques for their data mining projects could bring great benefits. End-users now have to face the new problem of how to choose a combination of data processing tools and algorithms for a given dataset. This problem is usually termed the Full Model Selection (FMS) problem. Extended from our previous work , in this paper, we introduce a framework for designing FMS algorithms. Under this framework, we propose a novel algorithm combining both genetic algorithms (GA) and particle swarm optimization (PSO) named GPS (which stands for GA-PSO-FMS), in which a GA is used for searching the optimal structure for a data mining solution, and PSO is used for searching optimal parameters for a particular structure instance. Given a classification dataset, GPS outputs a FMS solution as a directed acyclic graph consisting of diverse data mining operators that are available to the problem. Experimental results demonstrate the benefit of the algorithm. We also present, with detailed analysis, two model-tree-based variants for speeding up the GPS algorithm.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Swarm Size Genetic Algorithm Generation Binary Tree Structure Logistic Model Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Escalante, H.J., Montes, M., Sucar, L.E.: Particle swarm model selection. Journal of Machine Learning Research 10, 405–440 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Freund, Y., Schapire, R.: Experiments with a new boosting algorithm. In: Thirteenth International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 148–156 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Hall, M., Frank, E., Holmes, G., Pfahringer, B., Reutemann, P., Witten, I.: The weka data mining software: An update. SIGKDD Explorations 11(1) (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Holland, J.H.: Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems. MIT Press, Cambridge (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 4, pp. 1942–1948. IEEE (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Momma, M., Bennett, K.P.: A pattern search method for model selection of support vector regression. In: Proceedings of the SIAM International Conference on Data Mining. SIAM (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Sun, Q., Pfahringer, B., Mayo, M.: Full model selection in the space of data mining operators. In: Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference Companion, pp. 1503–1504. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, Y., Witten, I.H.: Induction of model trees for predicting continuous classes. Poster Papers of the 9th European Conference on Machine Learning. Springer (1997)Google Scholar