Desktop Grid Computing at the Age of the Web
In this paper we address the problem of deploying Desktop Grid (DG) middleware when we need it, where we need it, and on any device. One option is to put DG middleware into the cloud but at the condition that the code is suited for integration into the cloud. DG middleware were not generally developed with this option in mind. We propose an advanced prototype for a DG middleware able to run on small devices, i.e. smartphones and tablets as well as on more traditional computing devices (PCs). We explain, based on our experience, that the integration of existing DG middleware for small devices may be extraordinary challenging, resulting in rethinking the DG paradigm in terms of interactions between the components. We adopt a user-centric point of view in considering that the DG technology should be as simple as possible in its use. In another words, we are exploring the ways to offer DG as a service. Our prototype serves to illustrate our techniques and methodologies and to get a feedback and an analysis of our design.
KeywordsService-based Grid Computing Grid and Cloud middleware Resource management Cooperative systems Redis Publish-Subscribe paradigm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cerin, C., Fedak, G.: Desktop Grid Computing, 1st edn. Chapman and Hall-CRC (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Smets-Solanes, J.P., Cerin, C., Courteaud, R.: Slapos: A multi-purpose distributed cloud operating system based on an erp billing model. In: , pp. 765–766Google Scholar
- 5.Abbes, H., Dubacq, J.C.: Analysis of peer-to-peer protocols performance for establishing a decentralized desktop grid middleware. In: César, E., Alexander, M., Streit, A., Träff, J.L., Cérin, C., Knüpfer, A., Kranzlmüller, D., Jha, S. (eds.) Euro-Par 2008 Workshops. LNCS, vol. 5415, pp. 235–246. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Cerin, C., Takoudjou, A., Greneche, N.: Integration des intergiciels de grilles de pc dans le nuage slapos: le cas de boinc. CoRR abs/1211.6473 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Claudel, B., Huard, G., Richard, O.: Taktuk, adaptive deployment of remote executions. In: Kranzlmller, D., Bode, A., Hegering, H.G., Casanova, H., Gerndt, M. (eds.) HPDC, pp. 91–100. ACM (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Abidi, L., Cerin, C., Evangelista, S.: A petri-net model for the publish-subscribe paradigm and its application for the verification of the bonjourgrid middleware. In: , pp. 496–503Google Scholar
- 10.Abbes, H., Cerin, C., Jemni, M.: Bonjourgrid as a decentralised job scheduler. In: APSCC, pp. 89–94. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Jacobsen, H.A., Wang, Y., Hung, P. (eds.): IEEE International Conference on Services Computing, SCC 2011, July 4-9. IEEE, Washington, DC (2011)Google Scholar