A Community-Driven Approach to Development of an Ontology-Based Application Management Framework
Although the semantic web standards are established, applications and uses of the data are relatively limited. This is partly due to high learning curve and efforts demanded in building semantic web and ontology-based applications. In this paper, we describe an ontology application management framework that aims to simplify creation and adoption of a semantic web application. The framework supports application development in ontology- database mapping, recommendation rule management and application templates focusing on semantic search and recommender system applications. We present some case studies that adopted our application framework in their projects. Evolution of the software tool significantly profited from the semantic web research community in Thailand who has contributed both in terms of the tool development and adoption support.
Keywordssemantic web application framework ontology application development tool software tool development model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bizer, C., Heath, T., Berners-Lee, T.: Linked Data - The Story So Far. International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems 5, 1–22 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Carroll, J.J., Reynolds, D., Dickinson, I., Seaborne, A., Dollin, C., Wilkinson, K.: Jena: Implementing the Semantic Web Recommendations. In: Proc. of the 13th International World Wide Web Conference on Alternate Track Papers & Posters, pp. 74–83 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Bizer, C.: D2R MAP - A Database to RDF Mapping Language. In: Proc. of the 12th International World Wide Web Conference, WWW 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Hearst, M.: Design Recommendations for Hierarchical Faceted Search Interfaces. In: ACM SIGIR Workshop on Faceted Search (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Suksom, N., Buranarach, M., Thein, Y.M., Supnithi, T., Netisopakul, P.: A Knowledge-based Framework for Development of Personalized Food Recommender System. In: Proc. of the 5th Int. Conf. on Knowledge, Information and Creativity Support Systems (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Wongpatikaseree, K., Ikeda, M., Buranarach, M., Supnithi, T., Lim, A.O., Tan, Y.: Activity Recognition using Context-Aware Infrastructure Ontology in Smart Home Domain. Proc. of the 7th Int. Conf. on Knowledge, Information and Creativity Support Systems (2012)Google Scholar