Generating Test Scenarios Based on Real-World Traces for ERTMS Telecommunication Subsystem Evaluation
The European Rail Traffic Management System (ERTMS) allows increasing the utilization of the track by using a wireless mobile technology, the GSM-R, for dynamic signaling and control of the trains. However, the GSM-R will become the bottleneck regarding the performance of the ERTMS due to the increase of both the trains’ traffic, and the resources needed by all the applications that contribute to safety in rail transportation and to satisfaction of the users. In this context, it is necessary to develop the tools that will allow evaluating the impact on the GSM-R of the scenarios that could occur, but that are costly or difficult to test on real tracks. In this paper, we propose an approach that consists in using real-world traces of trains moving on ERTMS lines to build specific scenarios for evaluating the ERTMS telecommunication subsystem. In this way, we are able to guarantee that these evaluations are very realistic due to the fact that the train moves following the functional specification of ERTMS. Moreover, our approach is particularly interesting for the future of ERTMS since the same scenarios can be used to evaluate other prospective wireless mobile technologies that could replace the GSM-R, such as LTE.
KeywordsERTMS GSM-R Rail Transport Real Traces
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.UNISIG: System Requirement Specification, ERTMS specifications, subset 026 v2.3.0 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.UNISIG: GSM-R Interfaces — Class 1 requirements, subset 093 v2.3.0 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Sniady, A., Soler, J.: An overview of GSM-R technology and its shortcomings. In: 12th International Conference on ITS Telecommunications (ITST), pp. 626–629 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Ruesche, S.F., Steuer, J., Jobmann, K.: Increase of Efficiency in Wireless Train Control Systems (ETCS level 2) by the Use of Actual Packet-Oriented Transmission Concept. In: IEEE/ASME JRC 2008, Delaware, USA (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Aguado, M., Onandi, O., Jacob, E., Pinedo, C., Saiz, P., Higuero, M.: Wimax Role on CBTC Systems. In: ASME/IEEE JRCICE 2007, Pueblo, Colorado, USA (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Aguado, M., Liedo Samper, I., Berbineau, M., Jacob, E.: 4G Communication Technologies for Train to Ground Communication Services: LTE versus WIMAX, a simulation study. In: 9th World Congress on Railway Research, Lille (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Sondi, P., Kassab, M., Berbineau, M., Aguado, M., Lemaire, E.: Toward a Common Platform for Simulation-Based Evaluation of Both Functional and Telecommunication Subsystems of the ERTMS. In: JRC 2012, Philadelphia, USA (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Mera, J.M., Gomez-Rey, I., Campos, A.: ERTMS/ETCS test simulation bench. Urban Transport and the Environment in the 21st Century, XIII, UK (2007)Google Scholar