On Combinations of Local Theory Extensions
In this paper we study theory extensions in which efficient reasoning is possible. We study local extensions (in which hierarchical reasoning is possible) and give several examples from computer science or mathematics in which such extensions occur in a natural way. We then identify situations in which combinations of local extensions of a theory are again local extensions of that theory. We thus obtain criteria both for recognizing wider classes of local theory extensions, and for modular reasoning in combinations of theories over non-disjoint signatures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BG96]Basin, D.A., Ganzinger, H.: Complexity analysis based on ordered resolution. In: Proc. 11th IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science (LICS 1996), pp. 456–465. IEEE Computer Society Press (1996)Google Scholar
- [Gan01]Ganzinger, H.: Relating semantic and proof-theoretic concepts for polynomial time decidability of uniform word problems. In: Proc. 16th IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science (LICS 2001), pp. 81–92. IEEE Computer Society Press (2001)Google Scholar
- [GM92]Givan, R., McAllester, D.: New results on local inference relations. In: Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning: Proceedings of the Third International Conference (KR 1992), pp. 403–412. Morgan Kaufmann Press (1992)Google Scholar
- [GSS01]Ganzinger, H., Sofronie-Stokkermans, V.: Combining local equational Horn theories. Unpublished manuscript (2001)Google Scholar
- [NO79]Nelson, G., Oppen, D.C.: Simplification by cooperating decision procedures. ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems (1979)Google Scholar
- [SS06b]Sofronie-Stokkermans, V.: Local reasoning in verification. In: Autexier, S., Mantel, H. (eds.) IJCAR 2006 Workshop: VERIFY 2006: Verification Workshop. IJCAR 2006 Workshop Proceedings, pp. 128–145, Seattle, USA (2006)Google Scholar
- [SSI07a]Sofronie-Stokkermans, V., Ihlemann, C.: Automated reasoning in some local extensions of ordered structures. In: Proceedings of ISMVL 2007, paper 1. IEEE Computer Society (2007)Google Scholar