Novel Adaptive Eye Detection and Tracking for Challenging Lighting Conditions
The paper develops a novel technique that significantly improves the performance of Haar-like feature-based object detectors in terms of speed, detection rate under difficult lighting conditions, and reduced number of false-positives. The method is implemented and validated for driver monitoring under very dark, very bright, and normal conditions. The framework includes a fast adaptive detector designed to cope with rapid lighting variations, as well as an implementation of a Kalman filter for reducing the search region and indirect support of eye monitoring and tracking. The proposed methodology effectively works under low-light conditions without using infrared illumination or any other extra lighting support. Experimental results, performance evaluation, and comparing a standard Haar-like detector with the proposed adaptive eye detector, show noticeable improvements.
KeywordsFace Detection False Detection Search Region Face Tracking Yale Database
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.BioID Database (2012), http://www.bioid.com/downloads/software/bioid-face-database
- 2.Brandt, T., Stemmer, R., Rakotonirainy, A.: Affordable visual driver monitoring system for fatigue and monotony. Systems Man Cybernetics 7, 6451–6457 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.FERET Face Database (2012), http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/humanid/feret/
- 5.Face of tomorrow database (2012), http://www.faceoftomorrow.com/posters.asp
- 10.Majumdar, A.: Automatic and robust detection of facial features in frontal face images. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Computer Modelling Simulation, pp. 331–336 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.World recognized Haar classifier contributors for face and eye detection (2012), http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/Contributors
- 13.Viola, P., Jones, M.: Rapid object detection using a boosted cascade of simple features. In: Proc. CVPR, pp. 511–518 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Wu, Y., Ai, X.: Face detection in color images using AdaBoost algorithm based on skin color information. In: Proc. Int. Workshop on Knowledge Discovery Data Mining, pp. 339–342 (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.YALE Face Database (2012), http://cvc.yale.edu/projects/yalefacesB/yalefacesB.html