Graph-Based Approaches to Clustering Network-Constrained Trajectory Data
Clustering trajectory data attracted considerable attention in the last few years. Most of prior work assumed that moving objects can move freely in an euclidean space and did not consider the eventual presence of an underlying road network and its influence on evaluating the similarity between trajectories. In this paper, we present an approach to clustering such network-constrained trajectory data. More precisely we aim at discovering groups of road segments that are often travelled by the same trajectories. To achieve this end, we model the interactions between segments w.r.t. their similarity as a weighted graph to which we apply a community detection algorithm to discover meaningful clusters. We showcase our proposition through experimental results obtained on synthetic datasets.
Keywordssimilarity clustering moving objects trajectories road network graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Giannotti, F., Pedreschi, D. (eds.): Mobility, Data Mining and Privacy - Geographic Knowledge Discovery. Springer (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.El Mahrsi, M.K., Rossi, F.: Modularity-Based Clustering for Network-Constrained Trajectories. In: Proceedings of the 20th European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks, Computational Intelligence and Machine Learning, ESANN 2012, Bruges, Belgique, pp. 471–476 (April 2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Brakatsoulas, S., Pfoser, D., Salas, R., Wenk, C.: On map-matching vehicle tracking data. In: Proceedings of the 31st International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, VLDB 2005, pp. 853–864. VLDB Endowment (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Kharrat, A., Popa, I.S., Zeitouni, K., Faiz, S.: Clustering algorithm for network constraint trajectories. In: SDH. Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography, pp. 631–647. Springer (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Lou, Y., Zhang, C., Zheng, Y., Xie, X., Wang, W., Huang, Y.: Map-matching for low-sampling-rate gps trajectories. In: Proceedings of the 17th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, GIS 2009, pp. 352–361. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Raghavan, U.N., Albert, R., Kumara, S.: Near linear time algorithm to detect community structures in large-scale networks. Physical Review E 76(3) (September 2007)Google Scholar