GaaS: Customized Grids in the Clouds
Cloud Computing has been widely adopted as a new paradigm for providing resources because of the advantages it brings to both users and providers. Even if it was firstly targeted at enterprises wishing to reduce their equipment management costs, it has been rapidly recognized as both an enabler for new applications and as a mean to allow enterprises of all sizes at running high demanding applications. Recently, Cloud Providers are trying to attract new applications, such as scientific ones, that today already benefit from distributed environment like Grids. This work presents a way to remove the paradigm mismatch between Cloud and Grid Computing, enabling the use of Cloud-provided resources with well-established Grid-like interfaces, avoiding the need for users to learn new resources access and use models. The proposed approach is validated through the development of a prototype implementation and its integration in a working Grid environment.
KeywordsVirtualization Cloud Computing Grid Computing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Amazon: High Performance Computinig (HPC) on AWS, http://aws.amazon.com/hpc-applications/
- 4.Barone, G., Bifulco, R., Boccia, V., Bottalico, D., Carracciuolo, L.: Toward a flexible, environmentally conscious, on demand high performance computing service. In: 2011 First International Conference on Data Compression, Communications and Processing (CCP), pp. 136–138 (June 2011)Google Scholar
- 6.CloudFlu: CloudFlu - HPC cloud computing for OpenFOAM (R) users, http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloudflu/
- 8.Laure, E., et al.: Programming the Grid with gLite. Computational Methods in Science and Technology 12(1), 33–45 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Loomis, C., Airaj, M., Bégin, M., Floros, E., Kenny, S., O’Callaghan, D.: StratusLab Cloud Distribution. In: Petcu, D., Vázquez-Poletti, J. (eds.) European Research Activities in Cloud Computing, pp. 260–282. Cambridge Scholars Publishing (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Mell, P., Grance, T.: The NIST definition of Cloud ComputingGoogle Scholar
- 11.Memon, M., Nagy, Z., Yen, E., Koeroo, O.: Virtualization and Cloud Computing Task Force Report V.0.7 (2012), http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1359910/files/EMIVirtCloudReport-v0.7.doc
- 12.Merola, L.: The S.Co.P.E. Project. In: Proceedings of the Final Workshop of Grid Projects of the Italian National Operational Programme 2000-2006 Call 1575, pp. 18–35. Consorzio COMETA (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.OpenFOAM-Foundation: OpenFOAM, http://www.openfoam.com/
- 14.Salomoni, D., Italiano, A., Ronchieri, A.: WNoDeS, a tool for integrated Grid and Cloud access and computing farm virtualization. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Computing in High Energy and Nuclear Physics (CHEP 2010), pp. 18–35 (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Tusa, F., Paone, M., Villari, M., Puliafito, A.: Clever: A cloud cross-computing platform leveraging grid resources. In: UCC, pp. 390–396. IEEE Computer Society (2011), http://dblp.uni-trier.de/db/conf/ucc/ucc2011.html#TusaPVP11