Providing Authentication in Delay/Disruption Tolerant Networking (DTN) Environment
DTN environment is characterized by intermittent connectivity, high/variable delay, heterogeneity, high error rate and asymmetric data rate amongst others. These characteristics accounts for the poor behavior of Internet protocols in this environment. To address these problems, DTN was conceived and designed together with specialized protocols to carry out its services. Its emergence called for a new concept in security that was considered at the design stage. The main aim of this paper is to propose a traditional cryptography based authentication scheme that does not depend on network administrator’s availability during post network authentication communication and facilitates bundle processing by the recipient in the absence of connectivity. In this paper, we present and discuss the system model, the proposed credential and the propose authentication scheme. A simulation framework is developed for the implementation of the proposed and referenced schemes. From the simulation results, the proposed scheme was observed to be independent of network administrator’s availability during post network authentication communication and facilitates bundle processing in the absence of connectivity.
KeywordsSecurity Delay/Disruption Tolerant Networking (DTN) Authentication Communication Satellite Traditional Cryptography (TC) Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fall, K.: A Delay-Tolerant Network Architecture for Challenged Internets. In: SIGCOMM 2003, Karlsruhe, Germany, August 25-29 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Cerf, V., et al.: Delay-Tolerant Networking Architecture. IETF Network Working Group RFC 4838 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Scott, K., Burleigh, S.: Bundle Protocol Specification. IETF Network Working Group RFC 5050 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Farrell, S., Symington, S., Weiss, H., Lovell, P.: Delay-Tolerant Networking Security Overview. IETF Internet Draft, draft-irtf-dtnrg-sec-overview-06 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Symington, S., Farrell, S., Weiss, H., Lovell, P.: Bundle Security Protocol Specification. IETF Internet Draft, draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-security-15 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Farrell, S., Cahill, V.: Security Considerations in Space and Delay Tolerant Networks. In: Second IEEE International Conference on Space Mission Challenges for Information Technology (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Asokan, N., Kostiainen, K., Ginzboorg, J., Ott, J., Luo, C.: Towards Securing Disruption-Tolerant Networking. Nokia Research Centre, NRC-TR-2007-007 (2007) Google Scholar
- 9.Communication Satellite, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_satellite
- 10.Johnson, H., Cruickshank, H., Sun, Z.: Managing Access Control in Delay-/Disruption Tolerant Networking (DTN) Environment. In: 4th IEEE/IFIP International Conference on New Technology, Mobility and Security (2011)Google Scholar