Adding a Temporal Dimension to the TPC-H Benchmark
The importance of time in decision-support is widely recognized and has been addressed through temporal applications or through native temporal features by major DBMS vendors. In this paper we propose a framework for adding a new temporal component to the TPC-H benchmark. Our proposal includes temporal DDL, procedures to populate the temporal tables via insertselect thereby providing history, and temporal queries based on a workload that covers the temporal dimension broken down as current, history, and both. The queries we define as part of this benchmark include the typical SQL operators involved in scans, joins and aggregations. The paper concludes with experimental results. While in this paper we consider adding temporal history to a subset of the TPC-H benchmark tables namely Part/ Supplier/Partsupp, our proposed framework addresses a need and uses, as a starting point, a benchmark that is widely successful and well-understood.
KeywordsTemporal Dimension Temporal Component Valid Time Temporal Element Temporal Database
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Snodgrass, R.T., Böhlen, M.H., Jensen, C.S., Steiner, A.: Adding Valid Time toSQL/Temporal. Change Proposal, ANSI X3H2-96-501r2, ISO/IECJTC1/SC21/WG3 DBL MAD-146r2 (November 1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Snodgrass, R.T., Böhlen, M.H., Jensen, C.S., Steiner, A.: Adding TransactionTime to SQL/Temporal. Change Proposal, ANSI X3H2- 96-502r2, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC21/WG3 DBL MAD-147r2 (November 1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Jensen, C.S., et al.: The TSQL benchmark. In: International Workshop on an Infrastructure for Temporal Databases, Arlington, TX, pp. QQ-1 – QQ-28 (June 1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Dunham, M., Elmasri, R., Nacimento, M., Sobol, M.: Benchmarking Temporal Databases A Research Agenda. Technical Report 95-CSE-20, Southern Methodist University (December 1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Kalua, P., Rberson, E.: Benchmark queries for temporal databases. Technical report TR-379, Computer Science Department, Indiana University (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.TPC-H specification – Transaction Performance Council, http://www.tpc.org