What Genes Tell about Iris Appearance
Predicting phenotypes based on genotypes is generally hard, but has shown good results for prediction of iris color. We propose to correlate the appearance of iris with DNA. Six single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) have previously been shown to correlate with human iris color, and we demonstrate that especially one of the six SNPs are correlated with iris appearance. To perform this analysis we need a method to model the iris appearance, and we suggest an iris characterization based on a bag of visual words, which gives us a similarity measure between images of eyes. We have a dataset of 215 eye images with corresponding SNP types, where the image of the iris has been segmented. We perform two experiments based on the iris characterization. An agglomerative clustering is performed and the result is that one SNP – rs12913832 (HERC2) is highly correlated with the image clustering. Furthermore subspace projections are performed supporting that this SNP is very important for eye color expression. With the suggested image characterizations we are able to investigate the correlation between the phenotypic iris appearance and specific SNPs. This has potential for further investigation of the relation between DNA and iris appearance, especially with focus on iris texture.
KeywordsIris color Iris texture Image analysis Image clustering Canonical discriminant analysis DNA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Janssens, A.C.J.W., Van Duijn, C.M.: Genome-based prediction of common diseases: advances and prospects. Human molecular genetics 17(R2), R166–R173 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Krishnamachari, S., Abdel-Mottaleb, M.: Image browsing using hierarchical clustering. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Computers and Communications, pp. 301–307. IEEE (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Li, S.Z.: Markov random field modeling in image analysis. Springer-Verlag New York Inc. (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Liu, F., van Duijn, K., Vingerling, J.R., Hofman, A., Uitterlinden, A.G., Janssens, A., Kayser, M.: Eye color and the prediction of complex phenotypes from genotypes. Current Biology 19(5), R192–R193 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Sivic, J., Zisserman, A.: Video google: A text retrieval approach to object matching in videos. In: Proceedings of the Ninth IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 1470–1477. IEEE (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Walsh, S., Lindenbergh, A., Zuniga, S.B., Sijen, T., de Knijff, P., Kayser, M., Ballantyne, K.N.: Developmental validation of the irisplex system: determination of blue and brown iris colour for forensic intelligence. Forensic Science International: Genetics 5(5), 464–471 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar