Object-Based Boundary Properties
While object-based image analysis specializes in using region features for object detection, it lacks the possibility to use border strength and local geometry, common in edge detection. We propose to enhance common object-based image representation with boundary features that measure strength and continuity. Using these we formulate strategies for merging regions in a partitioned image to identify potentially regular shapes. To illustrate the capacity of this approach, we apply the proposed concepts to CT bone segmentation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hay GJ, Castilla G. Object-based image analysis: strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT). Proc OBIA. 2006 July.Google Scholar
- Definiens eCognition Developer XD 1.0 Reference Book. Definiens AG; 2008.Google Scholar
- Homeyer A, Schwier M, Hahn HK. A generic concept for object-based image analysis. VISAPP. 2010; p. 530–33.Google Scholar
- Luo J, Guo C. Perceptual grouping of segmented regions in color images. Pattern Recognit. 2003;36(12):2781–92.Google Scholar
- Ren X, Malik J; IEEE. Learning a classification model for segmentation. Proc IEEE Int Conf Comput Vis. 2003; p. 10–7.Google Scholar
- Debled-Rennesson I, Feschet F, Rouyer-Degli J. Optimal blurred segments decomposition of noisy shapes in linear time. Comput Graph. 2006;30(1).Google Scholar
- Roussillon T, Tougne L, Sivignon I. Computation of binary objects sides number using discrete geometry, application to automatic pebbles shape analysis. Proc CIAP. 2007; p. 763–8.Google Scholar
- Canny J. A computational approach to edge detection. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell. 1986;8(6):679–98.Google Scholar
- Haris K, Efstratiadis S, Maglaveras N. Hierarchical image segmentation based on contour dynamics. Proc ICIP. 2001; p. 7–10.Google Scholar
- Smid H, Jakob A, Heinze H. The organization of multidimensional selection on the basis of color and shape: An event-related brain potential study. Atten Percept Psychophys. 1997;59:693–713.Google Scholar