Co-Registration of Intra-Operative Photographs and Pre-Operative MR Images
Brain shift, the change in configuration of the brain after opening the dura mater, is a key problem in neuronavigation. We present an approach to co-register intra-operative microscope images with preoperative MRI data to adapt and optimize intra-operative neuronavigation. The tools are a robust classification of sulci on MRI extracted cortical surfaces, guided user marking of most prominent sulci on a microscope image, and the actual variational registration method with a fidelity energy for 3D deformations of the cortical surface combined with a higher order, linear elastica type prior energy. Furthermore, the actual registration is validated on an artificial testbed and on real data of a neuro clinical patient.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clarkson MJ, Rueckert D, Hill DLG, et al. Using photo-consistency to register 2D optical images of the human face to a 3D surface model. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell. 2001;23(11):1266–80.Google Scholar
- Bauer S, Berkels B, Ettl S, et al. Marker-less reconstruction of dense 4-D surface motion fields using active laser triangulation from sparse measurements for respiratory motion management. Proc MICCAI. 2012;7510:414–21.Google Scholar
- Dalal SS, Edwards E, Kirsch HE, et al. Localization of neurosurgically implanted electrodes via photograph–MRI–radiograph coregistration. J Neurosci Methods. 2008;174(1):106–15.Google Scholar
- Wang A, Mirsattari SM, Parrent AG, et al. Fusion and visualization of intraoperative cortical images with preoperative models for epilepsy surgical planning and guidance. Comput Aided Surg. 2011;16(4):149–60.Google Scholar
- Reinges MHT, Nguyen HH, Krings T, et al. Course of brain shift during microsurgical resection of supratentorial cerebral lesions: limits of conventional neuronavigation. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2004;146(4):369–77.Google Scholar
- Fischla B, Serenob MI, Dalea AM. Cortical Surface-Based Analysis: II: Inflation, Flattening, and a Surface-Based Coordinate System. Neuroimage. 1999;9(2):195–207.Google Scholar
- Clarenz U, Rumpf M, Telea A. Robust feature detection and local classification for surfaces based on moment analysis. IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph. 2004;10(5):516–24.Google Scholar
- Berkels B, Kotowski M, Rumpf M, et al. Sulci detection in photos of the human cortex based on learned discriminative dictionaries. Lect Notes Computer Sci. 2011.Google Scholar
- Modersitzki J. Numerical Methods for Image Registration. Oxford University Press; 2004.Google Scholar
- Kuhnt D, Bauer MH, Nimsky C. Brain shift compensation and neurosurgical image fusion using intraoperative MRI: current status and future challenges. Crit Rev Biomed Eng. 2012;40:175–85.Google Scholar