A Temporal Network Version of Watts’s Cascade Model
Threshold models of cascades in the social and economical sciences explain the spread of opinion and innovation as an effect of social influence. In threshold cascade models, fads or innovation spread between agents as determined by their interactions to other agents and their personal threshold of resistance. Typically, these models do not account for structure in the timing of interaction between the units. In this work, we extend a model of social cascades by Duncan Watts to temporal interaction networks. In our model, we assume agents are influenced by their friends and acquaintances at certain time into the past. That is, the influence of the past ages and becomes unimportant. Thus, our modified cascade model has an effective time window of influence. We explore two types of thresholds—thresholds to fractions of the neighbors, or absolute numbers. We try our model on six empirical datasets and compare them with null models.
KeywordsTime Window Null Model Threshold Model Cascade Model Temporal Network
The authors acknowledge financial support by the Swedish Research Council and the WCU program through NRF Korea funded by MEST R31–2008–10029. The authors thank Taro Takaguchi for comments.
- 13.Isella, L., Stehlé, J., Barrat, A., Cattuto, C., Pinton, J.F., Van den Broeck, W.: What’s in a crowd? Analysis of face-to-face behavioral networks. J. Theor. Biol. 271, 166–180 (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Karimi, F., Holme, P.: Threshold model of cascades in temporal networks (2012). E-print 1207.1206Google Scholar
- 20.Said, A., De Luca, E.W., Albayrak, S.: How social relationships affect user similarities. In: Proceedings of the ACM IUI’10 Workshop on Social Recommender Systems (2010)Google Scholar
- 21.Takaguchi, T., Masuda, N., Holme, P.: Bursty communication patterns facilitate spreading in a threshold-based epidemic dynamics (2012). E-print 1206.2097Google Scholar
- 22.Valente, T.W.: Network Models of the Diffusion of Innovations. Hampton Press, Gresskill (1995)Google Scholar