Rule-Based Combination of Comorbid Treatments for Chronic Diseases Applied to Hypertension, Diabetes Mellitus and Heart Failure
The treatment of patients with several chronic diseases (comorbidities) has become a frequent actuation of health-care professionals in their daily practice. As different treatments are needed for each disease, there is a risk of undesired drug interactions that must be detected and solved using evidence-based medical knowledge. In this paper we have extracted part of this knowledge for the comorbidities of hypertension, diabetes mellitus and heart failure, and we have represented it by means of combination rules. A rule execution system has been developed which is able to combine treatments of different diseases into a unique comorbid treatment avoiding undesired drug interactions. The system has been checked by health-care professionals of the SAGESSA Health-care group in 20 medical cases.
KeywordsHeart Failure Insulin Glargine Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical Insulin Detemir Combination Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Drugs.com. Drug interaction checker. English, http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html (last accessed May 15, 2012)
- 3.Gijsen, R., Hoeymans, N., Schellevis, F.G., et al.: Causes and consequences of comorbidity: A review. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 54(7), 661–674 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Grup SAGESSA. Guia de maneig de la hipertensió (2003), http://www.grupsagessa.com/documents/menupai/pai_hipertensio-catala.pdf
- 5.Grup SAGESSA. Guia de maneig de la diabetis (2002), http://www.grupsagessa.com/documents/menupai/pai_diabetis-catala.pdf
- 6.Grup SAGESSA. Guia de maneig de la insuficiència cardíaca (2008), http://banzai-deim.urv.cat/repositories/Bibliography/HFcat.pdf
- 7.Hospital Consortium SAGESSA. Spanish, http://www.grupsagessa.com/ (last accessed May 15, 2012)
- 9.Kane, R.L., Ouslander, J.G., Abrass, I.B.: Essentials of clinical geriatrics: drug therapy, pp. 357–388. McGraw-Hill, Berkshire (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Medscape reference. Drug interaction checker. English, http://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker/ (last accessed May 15, 2012)
- 13.Ostchega, Y., Dillon, C.F., Hughes, J.P., et al.: Trends in hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control in older U.S. adults: data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1988 to 2004. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 55(7), 1056–1065 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Riaño, R.: The SDA Model: A Set Theory Approach. In: Proc. Twentieth IEEE Int. Symp. Computer-Based Medical Systems, CBMS 2007, pp. 563–568 (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and Partnership for Solutions: Chronic Conditions: Making the Case for Ongoing Care. Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD (September 2004 Update)Google Scholar
- 17.Rosamond, W., Flegal, K., Furie, K., et al.: Heart disease and stroke statistics–2008 update: a report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Circulation 117(4), e25–e146 (2008)Google Scholar