Alignment Based Precision Checking
- 2.2k Downloads
Most organizations have process models describing how cases need to be handled. In fact, legislation and standardization (cf. the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, the Basel II Accord, and the ISO 9000 family of standards) are forcing organizations to document their processes. These processes are often not enforced by information systems. However, torrents of event data are recorded by today’s information systems. These recorded events reflect how processes are really executed. Often reality deviates from the modeled behavior. Therefore, measuring the extent process executions conform to a predefined process model is increasingly important. In this paper, we propose an approach to measure the precision of a process model with respect to an event log. Unlike earlier approaches, we first align model and log thus making our approach more robust, even in case of deviations. The approach has been implemented in the ProM 6 tool and evaluated using both artificial and real life cases.
KeywordsPrecision measurement Log-model alignment Conformance checking Process mining
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adriansyah, A., Sidorova, N., van Dongen, B.F.: Cost-Based Fitness in Conformance Checking. In: International Conference on Application of Concurrency to System Design, pp. 57–66 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Adriansyah, A., van Dongen, B.F., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Conformance Checking Using Cost-Based Fitness Analysis. In: IEEE International Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference, pp. 55–64 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Buijs, J.C.A.M., van Dongen, B.F., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Towards Cross-Organizational Process Mining in Collections of Process Models and Their Executions. In: Daniel, F., Barkaoui, K., Dustdar, S. (eds.) BPM Workshops 2011, Part II. LNBIP, vol. 100, pp. 2–13. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Calders, T., Günther, C.W., Pechenizkiy, M., Rozinat, A.: Using Minimum Description Length for Process Mining. In: Proceedings of the 2009 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, SAC 2009, pp. 1451–1455. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Munoz-Gama, J., Carmona, J.: Enhancing precision in process conformance: Stability, confidence and severity. In: IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Data Mining, CIDM 2011, pp. 184–191. IEEE (April 2011)Google Scholar
- 10.ter Hofstede, A.H.M., van der Aalst, W.M.P., Adams, M., Russell, N.: Modern Business Process Automation. Springer (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Business Process Configuration in the Cloud: How to Support and Analyze Multi-Tenant Processes? In: Zavattaro, G., Schreier, U., Pautasso, C. (eds.) Proceedings of the 9th IEEE European Conference on Web Services (ECOWS 2011), pp. 3–10. IEEE Computer Society Press (2011)Google Scholar