Faster Query Execution for Partitioned RDF Data
This work demonstrates use of Materialized Views to enhance query performance for partitioned RDF data. Given a query, our system determines which views or combinations thereof can be used to answer it. Break- even analysis for the proposed system has been done based on view materialization and refreshment costs. The system performance was evaluated for 7 query types, 3 having Sub-Obj joins. It shows that our approach reduces query response time by an average of 26% for all query types w.r.t response time using just vertical partitioning. Specifically, for queries with Sub-Obj joins, the average reduction is by 37%. On scaling data up 8 times, the reduction changed from 37% to 79% for queries with Sub-Obj joins, and from 26% to 51% on an average for all query types. With the proposed technique, Semantic Web Applications shall be more interactive since queries having Sub-Obj. joins are expected for them.
KeywordsMaterialized Views Query Execution RDF Data Semantic Web Data Vertical Partitioning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Padiya, T., Ahir, M., Bhise, M., Chaudhary, S.: Data Partitioning for Semantic Web. International Journal of Computer & Communication Technology (IJCCT), 32–35 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Beckmann, J., Halverson, A., Krishnamurthy, R., Naughton, J.: Extending RDBMSs to support sparse datasets using an interpreted attribute storage format. In: International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), Atlanta (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Chaudhuri, S., Krishnamurthy, R., Potamianos, S., Shim, K.: Optimizing Queries with Materialized ews. In: International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), Taipei, pp. 190–200 (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.FOAF Specification (August 9, 2010), http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/
- 7.Wilkinson, K., Sayers, C., Kuno, H., Reynolds, D.: Efficient RDF storage and retrieval in Jena2. In: Semantic Web Databases (SWDB), Berlin, pp. 131–150 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Abadi, D.J., Madden, S., Hachem, N.: Column-stores vs. row-stores: how different are they really? In: SIGMOD Conference, Vancouver, pp. 967–980 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Monetdb (May 10, 2012), http://www.monetdb.org/Home