Data Insertion and Archiving in Erasure-Coding Based Large-Scale Storage Systems
Given the vast volume of data that needs to be stored reliably, many data-centers and large-scale file systems have started using erasure codes to achieve reliable storage while keeping the storage overhead low. This has invigorated the research on erasure codes tailor made to achieve different desirable storage system properties such as efficient redundancy replenishment mechanisms, resilience against data corruption, degraded reads, to name a few prominent ones. A problem that has mainly been overlooked until recently is that of how the storage system can be efficiently populated with erasure coded data to start with. In this paper, we will look at two distinct but related scenarios: (i) migration to archival - leveraging on existing replicated data to create an erasure encoded archive, and (ii) data insertion - new data being inserted in the system directly in erasure coded format. We will elaborate on coding techniques to achieve better throughput for data insertion and migration, and in doing so, explore the connection of these techniques with recently proposed locally repairable codes such as self-repairing codes.
KeywordsFault Tolerance Encode Process Storage Node Repair Group Redundancy Generation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Acedaski, S., Deb, S., Mdard, M., Koetter, R.: How good is random linear coding based distributed networked storage. In: Workshop on Network Coding, Theory, and Applications, NetCod (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Apache.org. HDFS-RAI, http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HDFS-RAID
- 3.Cleversafe, http://www.cleversafe.com
- 4.Datta, A., Oggier, F.: An overview of codes tailor-made for networked distributed data storage. CoRR, abs/1109.2317 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Oggier, F., Datta, A.: Self-repairing homomorphic codes for distributed storage systems. In: The 30th IEEE Intl. Conference on Computer Communications, INFOCOM (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Oggier, F., Datta, A.: Coding techniques for repairability in networked distributed storage systems (2012), http://sands.sce.ntu.edu.sg/CodingForNetworkedStorage/pdf/longsurvey.pdf
- 7.Pamies-Juarez, L., Datta, A., Oggier, F.: In-network redundancy generation for opportunistic speedup of backup. CoRR, abs/1111.4533 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Pamies-Juarez, L., Datta, A., Oggier, F.: RapidRAID: Pipelined Erasure Codes for Fast Data Archival in Distributed Storage Systems. In: The 32nd IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (Infocom 2013) (2013)Google Scholar