Implementation of Model Predictive Control for Closed Loop Control of Anesthesia
This paper focuses on the design and implementation of model- predictive controller (MPC) for the close loop control of anesthesia for a patient undergoing surgery. A single input (Propofol infusion rate) single output (bispectral index (BIS)) model of patient has been assumed which includes variable dead time caused by measurement of bispectral index. The main motivation for the use of MPC in this case relies on its ability in considering, in a straightforward way, control and state constraints that naturally arise in practical problems. The MPC can take into account constraints on drug delivery rates and state of the patient but requires solving an optimization problem at regular time intervals. We proposed a modified active set method algorithm using Cholesky factorization based linear solver to solve online convex quadratic programming (QP) problem, to reduce complexity of the algorithm, eventually to accelerate MPC implementation. Experimentation shows that excellent regulation of bispectral index (BIS) is achieved around set-point targets.
KeywordsThree Compartmental PK-PD model Bispectral index (BIS) depth of anesthesia (DOA) Model-predictive control (MPC) Active Set Method (ASM)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dumont, G.A., Martinez, A., Ansermino, J.M.: Robust control of depth of anesthesia. International Journal of Adaptive Control Signal Process., 435–454 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Furutani, E., Tsuruoka, K., Kusudo, S., Shirakami, G., Fukuda, K.: A Hypnosis and Analgesia Control System Using a Model Predictive Controller in Total Intravenous Anesthesia During Day-case Surgery. In: SICE Annual Conference 2010, The Grand Hotel, Taipei, Taiwan, August 18-21 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Wright, S.J.: Applying new optimizaiton algorithms to model predictive control. In: Chemical Process Control-V, CACHE, AIChE Symposium Series, vol. 93 (316), pp. 147–155 (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.He, M., Ling, K.V.: Model Predictive Control On A Chip. In: 2005 International Conference on Control and Automation (ICCA 2005), Budapest, Hungary, June 27-29 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Fletcher, R.R.: Practical Methods of Optimization, 2nd edn. Wiley (1987)Google Scholar