Development and Evaluation of Systems Engineering Strategies: An Assessment-Based Approach
Linking process improvement with the business and strategic goals of an organization is a key prerequisite for enabling such process improvement initiatives to generate appropriate value for the organization. However, process improvement methods themselves typically do not deal in detail with the provision of guidance for the derivation of business focused process improvements. Therefore, we provide a best practice-based approach for developing and evaluating systems engineering strategies, based on a conceptual framework for defining and representing such engineering strategies. The resulting engineering strategies are aligned with corporate strategies and business goals. Strategy objects as a core element of our approach can be associated with the process areas and processes of existing process improvement frameworks. The presented approach thus allows that any process improvement action can consequently be systematically aligned with the strategy objects of the developed systems engineering strategies and thus with the business and strategic goals of the enterprise.
KeywordsSystems engineering industrial engineering engineering strategy functional strategy strategy development strategy evaluation process improvement CMMI
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ISO/IEC 15288:2008. Systems and software engineering - System life cycle processes. International Standards Organization (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.ISO/IEC 12207:2008. Systems and software engineering - Software life cycle processes. International Standards Organization (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.ISO/IEC 15504:2003: Information Technology - Process Assessment. International Standards Organization (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.CMMI for development, version 1.2. Technical Report CMU/SEI-2006-TR-008, Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Shewhart, W.A.: Economic control of quality of manufactured product. D.Van Nostrand Company, New York (1931)Google Scholar
- 7.McFeeley, B.: IDEAL: A user’s guide for software process improvement. Handbook CMU/SEI-96-HB-001, Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.ISO/IEC 15504-7:1998: Information Technology - Software Process Assessment – Part 7: Guide for use in process improvement. International Standards Organization (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Simon, H., von der Gathen, A.: Das große Handbuch der Strategieinstrumente – Alle Werkzeuge für eine erfolgreiche Unternehmensführung. Campus, Frankfurt/Main (2002) (in German)Google Scholar
- 11.Venzin, M., Rasner, C., Mahnke, V.: Der Strategieprozess – Praxishandbuch zur Umsetzung im Unternehmen. Campus, Frankfurt/Main (2003) (in German)Google Scholar
- 12.ABB Annual Report 2006 – Sustainability review – Power and productivity for a better world, ABB (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Siemens: Fit For The Future update Strategic Goals, Siemens PG (January 2007)Google Scholar