Data Filtering and Aggregation in a Localisation WSN Testbed
The main challenge in wireless networks is to optimally use the confined radio resources to support data transfer. This holds for large-scale deployments as well as for small-scale test environments such as test-beds. We investigate two approaches to reduce the radio traffic in a test-bed, namely, filtering of unnecessary data and aggregation of redundant data. Both strategies exploit the fact that, depending on the tested application’s objective, not all data may be of interest. The proposed design solutions indicate that traffic reduction as high as 97% can be achieved in the specific case of test-bed for indoor localisation.
KeywordsWSN filtering aggregation WiFi bluetooth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Greenorbs test-bed, http://greenorbs.org (accessed: January 27, 2012)
- 2.Gumstix overo, https://www.gumstix.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=227 (accessed: January 27, 2012)
- 3.Honk kong university, internet and mobile computing laboratory test-bed, http://www.comp.polyu.edu.hk/en/research/centres_labs/internet_and_mobile_computing_laboratory/index.phpm (accessed: January 27, 2012)
- 4.IEEE 802.11-2007, Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications (2007), http://standards.ieee.org/about/get/802/802.11.html
- 5.Chen, Z., Shin, K.G.: Opag: Opportunistic data aggregation in wireless sensor networks. In: Real-Time Systems Symposium 2008, pp. 345–354 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Dolfus, K., Braun, T.: An evaluation of compression schemes for wireless networks. In: International Congress on Ultra Modern Telecommunications and Control Systems, pp. 1–6 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Krishnamachari, L., Estrin, D., Wicker, S.: The impact of data aggregation in wireless sensor networks. In: Proc. of Distributed Computing Systems Workshops, pp. 575–578 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Kumar, V., McCarville-Schueths, J., Madria, S.: A test-bed for secure hierarchical data aggregation in wireless sensor networks. In: 2010 IEEE 7th International Conference on Mobile Adhoc and Sensor Systems (MASS), pp. 762–764 (November 2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Murty, R.N., Mainland, G., Rose, I., Chowdhury, A.R., Gosain, A., Bers, J., Welsh, M.: Citysense: An urban-scale wireless sensor network and testbed. In: Proc. of IEEE Technologies for Homeland Security, pp. 583–588 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Staub, T., Morgenthaler, S., Balsiger, D., Goode, P.K., Braun, T.: Adam: Administration and deployment of adhoc mesh networks. In: 3rd IEEE Workshop on Hot Topics in Mesh Networking (IEEE HotMESH 2011) (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Taghikhaki, Z., Meratnia, N., Havinga, P.J.M.: Energy-efficient trust-based aggregation in wireless sensor networks. In: IEEE INFOCOM: Workshops, pp. 584–589 (2011)Google Scholar