System Concept for Collision-Free Robot Assisted Surgery Using Real-Time Sensing
The introduction of robot assistance into the surgical process yields beside all desired advantages also additional sources of potential risks. This is especially due to the fact that the working space of the robot system is overlapping with the patient and the surgical personnel in a narrow environment around the situs. To enable the usage of partially autonomous robotic system in this field, we propose a novel approach which combines an algorithm for guaranteed collision-free path-planning with a real-time monitoring system of the workspace. This paper details the concept as well as the integration plan, showing first results for both components.
Keywordsrobot assistance monitoring safety collision avoidance trajectory planning sensing registration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Taylor, H., Kazanzides, P.: Medical Robotics and Computer-Integrated Interventional Medicine. In: Zelkowitz, M. (ed.) Advances in Computers, vol. 73, pp. 217–258. Elsevier (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Nicolai, P., Beyl, T., Moennich, H., Raczkowsky, J., Wörn, H.: OP: Sense – An Integrated Rapid Development Environment in the Context of Robot Assisted Surgery and Operation Room Sensing. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO 2011), Phuket, Thailand, December 7-11, pp. 2421–2422 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Schorr, O., Münchenberg, J., Raczkowsky, J., Wörn, H.: KasOp - A Generic System for Pre- and Intraoperative Surgical Assistance and Guidance. In: Proc. of the 15th Int. Congress and Exhibition of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (CARS), Berlin, Germany (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Mages, D., Hein, B., Wörn, H.: A Deterministic Hierarchical Local Planner for Probabilistic Roadmap Construction. In: VDI: VDI Berichte, vol. 1956, pp. 29–30 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Mages, D., Hein, B., Wörn, H.: Approximated distance conversion from work space to configuration space of robots based on serial kinematics. In: VDI-Berichte 1841, Robotik (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Hein, B., Wörn, H.: Fast Hierarchical A* Path Planning for Industrial Robots Based on Efficient Use of Distance Computations. In: Proc. of 37th International Symposium on Robotics ISR 2006 and 4th German Conference on Robotics Robotik, Munich (2006)Google Scholar