A Novel Visualizer of Medical Images by Integrating an Extensible Plugin Framework
The use of medical imaging for the diagnosis and, to a lesser extent, the prognosis and treatment of disease, is a common practice in modern medicine. Consequently, the need has arisen to develop applications that combine the ability to visualize digital medical images with the features required by clinical personnel in order to manage them. A number of medical image viewers are currently available, but nearly all of them are oriented towards visualizing and managing a single study of a patient, which limits the analysis of the expert. This paper introduces a novel application that contains the basic functionality required for common medical image analysis and which may be extended by a plug-in system with new features that could be demanded in the future. The application also makes it possible to visualize and analyze several studies at the same time, completely independently, increasing the accuracy of the analysis and facilitating the work of experts.
KeywordsDICOM GUI ITK MITK
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fitzpatrick, J.M., Sonka, M.: Handbook of Medical Imaging. Medical Image Processing and Analysis, vol. PM80. SPIE Press Monograph (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Pieper, S., Halle, M., Kikinis, R.: 3D SLICER. In: Proceedings of the 1st IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro, pp. 632–635 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.MITK 3M3 Image Analysis (November 2010), http://www.mint-medical.de/productssolutions/mitk3m3/mitk3m3/
- 7.Wolf I., Nolden M., Böttger T., Wegner I., Schöbinger M., Hastenteufel M., et al.: The MITK Approach. In: Insight Journal - 2005 MICCAI Open-Source Workshop (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Wolf, I., Vetter, M., Wegner, I., Nolden, M., et al.: The Medical Imaging Interaction Toolkit (MITK) a toolkit facilitating the creation of interactive software by extending VTK and ITK. In: Med. Imag. 2004: Visualization, Image-Guided Procedures, and Display. Proc. of the SPIE, vol. 5367, pp. 16–27 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Ibáñez, L., Schroeder, W., Ng, L., Cates, J., Consortium, T.I.S., Hamming, R.: The ITK Software Guide. Kitware, Inc. (January 2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Schroeder, W.V., Martin, K., Lorensen, B.: The Visualization Toolkit An Object-Oriented Approach To 3D Graphics, 4th edn. Kitware, Inc. (December2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Blanchette, J.: Summerfield M.: C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4, 2nd edn. The official C++/Qt book. Prentice Hall (February 14, 2008)Google Scholar