Multimodal Interfaces for the Smart Home: Findings in the Process from Architectural Design to User Evaluation
Smart Environments have specific natural interaction needs that can be provided for with multimodal interfaces. There are still challenges to face, such as the adaptability of the interaction and an evaluation of the proposed systems. This work focuses on these problems and proposes an architectural design evaluated in the domain of Smart Homes. The architectural approach is based on the Model View Presenter Pattern and the Service Oriented paradigm. The evaluation was conducted with a laboratory deployment of a prototype of the system and usability tests were carried out with a usability questionnaire. Results show the technical feasibility of the proposed design and positive user acceptance of the multimodal interface as compared to mono-modal interfaces.
Keywordsmultimodal interaction smart home usability evaluation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Herzog, G., Reithinger, N.: The SmartKom architecture: A framework for multimodal dialogue systems. SmartKom: Foundations of Multimodal Dialogue (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Sebe, N.: Multimodal interfaces: Challenges and perspectives. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments 1, 23–30 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.López-cózar, R., Callejas, Z.: Handbook of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Folmer, E., Bosch, J.: Architecting for usability: a survey. Journal of Systems and Software, 61–78 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Bernsen, N.O., Dybkjær, L.: Multimodal Usability: Conclusions and Future Work. Multimodal Usability, 413–419 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Guna, J., Kos, A., Pogačnik, M.: Evaluation of a multimodal interaction concept in virtual worlds. ev.fe.uni-lj.si 77, 287–292 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Hassenzahl, M., Burmester, M., Koller, F.: AttrakDiff: Ein Fragebogen zur Messung wahrgenommener hedonischer und pragmatischer Qualität. Mensch & Computer, 187–196 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Möller, S., Engelbrecht, K.P., Kühnel, C., Naumann, A., Wechsung, I., Weiss, B.: Evaluation of Multimodal Interfaces for Ambient Intelligence. In: Human-Centric Interfaces for Ambient Intelligence, pp. 347–370 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Lawson, J.J.-Y.L., Al-Akkad, A.-A., Vanderdonckt, J., Macq, B.: An open source workbench for prototyping multimodal interactions based on off-the-shelf heterogeneous components. In: EICS 2009: Proceedings of the First ACM SIGCHI Symposium on Engineering Interactive Computing, New York (2009)Google Scholar