Rectilinear Covering for Imprecise Input Points
We consider the rectilinear k-center problem in the presence of impreciseness of input points. We assume that the input is a set S of n unit squares, possibly overlapping each other, each of which is interpreted as a measured point with an identical error bound under the L ∞ metric on ℝ2. Our goal, in this work, is to analyze the worst situation with respect to the rectilinear k-center for a given set S of unit squares. For the purpose, we are interested in a value λ k (S) that is the minimum side length of k congruent squares by which any possible true point set from S can be covered. We show that, for k = 1 or 2, computing λ k (S) is equivalent to the problem of covering the input squares S completely by k squares, and thus one can solve the problem in linear time. However, for k ≥ 3, this is not the case, and we present an O(n logn)-time algorithm for computing λ 3(S). For structural observations, we introduce a new notion on geometric covering, namely the covering-family, which is of independent interest.
KeywordsSide Length Voronoi Diagram Delaunay Triangulation Decision Algorithm Input Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Hoffmann, M.: Covering polygons with few rectangles. In: Proc. 17th Euro. Workshop Comp. Geom. (EuroCG 2001), pp. 39–42 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Khanban, A.A., Edalat, A.: Computing Delaunay triangulation with imprecise input data. In: Proc. 15th Canadian Conf. Comput. Geom., pp. 94–97 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Löffler, M.: Data Imprecision in Computational Geometry. Ph.D. thesis, Utrecht University (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Löffler, M., van Kreveld, M.J.: Largest and smallest tours and convex hulls for imprecise points. In: Proc. 10th Scandinavian Workshop Algo. Theory, pp. 375–387 (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Sember, J., Evans, W.: Guaranteed Voronoi diagrams of uncertain sites. In: Proc. 20th Canadian Conf. Comput. (2008)Google Scholar
- 18.Sharir, M., Welzl, E.: Rectilinear and polygonal p-piercing and p-center problems. In: Proc. 12th Annu. Sympos. Comp. Geom (SoCG 1996), pp. 122–132 (1996)Google Scholar