A Context Aware Architecture for Energy Efficient Cognitive Radio
Energy efficiency is a critical issue for future wireless communication. The European FP7 C2POWER project is to research, develop and demonstrate energy saving technologies for multi-standard wireless mobile devices, exploiting the combination of Cognitive Radio and cooperative strategies. The basic objective is to establish an energy optimization framework founded upon energy aware Cognitive Radio nodes which can dynamically optimize energy consumption while satisfying desired Quality of Service (QoS) for specific radio environments and applications. The context awareness for energy efficient Cognitive Radio can be seen as decision-making processes to optimize energy saving strategy based on energy related context information. The decision of a single node may have impacts on the energy consumption of other nodes and the entire Cognitive Radio network. Such decision-making processes are interactive. Game theory provides a mathematical basis for the analysis of interactive decision making processes. This paper presents a context aware architecture for energy efficient Cognitive Radio network from a game theoretical perspective.
Keywordsenergy efficiency Cognitive Radio context awareness game theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The European ICT C2POWER project website, http://www.ict-c2power.eu/
- 2.Mitola III, J.: Cognitive Radio: An Integrated Agent Architecture for Software Defined Radio. PhD Thesis, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden (May 2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Amanna, A.: Green Communications: Annotated Literature Review and Research Vision. Technical Report, Virginia TechGoogle Scholar
- 4.Zhang, H.: Cognitive Radio for Green Communications and Green Spectrum. In: CHINACOM, Hangzhou, China (August 2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Grace, D., Chen, J., Jiang, T., Mitchell, P.: Using Cognitive Radio to Deliver Green Communications. In: CROWNCOM, Germany (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Rodriguez, J., Marques, P., Radwan, A., Moessner, K., Tafazolli, R., Raspopoulos, M., Stavrou, S., Trapps, P., Noquet, D., Sithamparanathan, K., Gomes, A., Piesiewicz, R., Mokrani, H., Foglar, A., Verikoukis, C.: Cognitive radio and cooperative strategies for power saving in multi-standard wireless devices. In: European ICT-Summit 2010, Italy (2010)Google Scholar