Emerging Research Directions on 3D Video Quality Assessment
Motion picture producers, providers and equipment developers have to deeply consider end user perception of the application being often expressed in terms of a capacious Quality of Experience (QoE) concept. QoE is affected across the whole application delivery chain including content digitisation and compression, its network delivery and reproduction. During recent years enormous research effort and massive tests have been performed in order to identify factors affecting QoE and develop their mapping to scales like Mean Opinion Score for 2D content. Today, the digital video world is on the eve of 3D imaging which is far more complex and sophisticated not only because of the involved technology but also due to the multi–factor nature of the overall 3D experience. This paper discusses the current state of the research on the emerging problem of the user perceived quality of 3D content.
KeywordsQuality of Experience QoE 3D Video subjective tests quality metrics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.VQEG, The Video Quality Experts Group, http://www.vqeg.org/
- 3.Woo, G., Sillanpaa, V.: Absolute stereoscopic threshold as measured by crossed and uncrossed disparities. American Journal of Optometry and Physiological Optics (56), 350–355 (1979)Google Scholar
- 4.Lambooij, M.T.M., Ijsselsteijn, W.A., Heynderickx, I.: Visual comfort of binocular and 3d displays. In: Visual Discomfort in Stereoscopic Displays: a Review, in Stereoscopic Displays and Virtual Reality Systems XIV. Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 6490, pp. 1–13 (January 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Wijnand, A.I., Seuntins, P.J.H., Meesters, L.M.J.: Human factors of 3d displays. In: 3D Videocommunication - Algorithms, Concepts and Real-Time Systems in Human Centred Communication, pp. 219–233. John Wiley and Sons Ltd. (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Smolic, A., Mueller, K., Merkle, P., Kauff, P., Wiegand, T.: An overview of available and emerging 3d video formats and depth enhanced stereo as efficient generic solution. In: Picture Coding Symposium, PCS 2009, pp. 1–4 (May 2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Hartley, R.I., Zisserman, A.: Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press (2004) ISBN: 0521540518Google Scholar
- 11.Tikanmaki, A., Gotchev, A., Smolic, A., Miller, K.: Quality assessment of 3d video in rate allocation experiments. In: IEEE International Symposium on Consumer Electronics, ISCE 2008, April 14-16, pp. 1–4 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Leon, G., Kalva, H., Furht, B.: 3d video quality evaluation with depth quality variations. In: 3DTV Conference: The True Vision - Capture, Transmission and Display of 3D Video, May 28-30, pp. 301–304 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.CDVL, The Consumer Digital Video Library, http://www.cdvl.org/
- 15.Chen, W., Fournier, J., Barkowsky, M., Callet, P.L.: New Requirements of Subjective Video Quality Assessment Methodologies for 3DTV. In: Fifth International Workshop on Video Processing and Quality Metrics for Consumer Electronics, Scottsdale, Arizona, U.S.A. (January 2010), http://www.vpqm.org/
- 16.ICDM, International Committee for Display Metrology, http://icdm-sid.org/